Moving gas water heater

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

squirt13

I am wondering if I could move my gas water heater from the interior closset in the kitchen to the closset in my spare bedroom. I will adventually be remodeling my kitchen with all new cabnets and would like to move the water heater at that time. The reasoning behind this is when I remodel I am going to make the kitchen ADA compatable. I will adventually be in a chair most of the time and figure I might as well do it right the first time. However with the loss of cabnet heigth and accessablity to the upper cabnets I fugured I could put a overn in the area where the water heater is along with storage.My kitchen is very small shaped in a 'L' shape. This would give me more room that I could reach.
Greg

As long as it is installed & vented correctly there should not be any problem moving it. Make sure it is a MH approved heater. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
squirt13

I was planning on using the same water heater I currently have, just move it to the other side of the house so I can use the closset to put my oven in.
Greg

There should be "Mobile Home approved" on the model # tag. As long as you are going through the trouble, just make sure it is an approved water heater. Greg
JD
Site Admin

I would be very concerned about having a water heater in a bedroom. In stick built homes, it is not legal. I believe they can be designed into a bedroom in mobile homes because they are mobile home water heaters. I doubt you could get a permit to move one into a bedroom though. Any malfunction could be disastrous. An exhaust malfunction in a room you sleep in could be fatal.

You may be able to build an outside closet to install the water heater in.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
squirt13

I understand what JD is saying about puting it in a bedroom that is used as a bedroom. This room is used as a study and exercise room. As far as danger currently it is 3 feet away from the master bedroom. in the proposed location it would be about the same distance from the second bedroom.
Greg

I can't say anything about codes as far as a water heater in the bedroom (I know that many come from the factory there) but in New York a new law states that EVERY residential dwelling MUST have a Carbon Monoxide detector on every level if not outside every bedroom. Greg