Painting interior question

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

jcarr492

Can you paint the vinyl type walls in mobile homes?? We have a 2000 dw home and I would LOVE be able to paint our kitchen and bathrooms. They have ugly floral print walls and I can't stand them. Mother in law picked them out when they bought this home for themselves before we took over the payments.
redneeckgirl

I always start my posts by saying I'm not the pro here but, I for one have used all different types of paint; latex, flat even glaze over my wallboard with no problems.
1997 Shultz 16X80, shingle roof, vinyl siding. NE Indiana.
Working on a 'face-lift' remodel so we can sell and move to Florida.
Greg

I'm going to move this to the decorating forum.
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

There have been many posts in regards to this subject. Using the search forum posts feature, you could find pages of opinions and recommendations.

The gist of it would be a thorough prep and cleaning and using a high adhesion latex primer. Zinsser BIN 123 or High Hide Cover-Stain. Many people have suggested a primer called Grabber.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Trudi

JD wrote:There have been many posts in regards to this subject. Using the search forum posts feature, you could find pages of opinions and recommendations.

The gist of it would be a thorough prep and cleaning and using a high adhesion latex primer. Zinsser BIN 123 or High Hide Cover-Stain. Many people have suggested a primer called Grabber.

JD
Do you mean Gripper or is there a new one out?
JD
Site Admin

Yeah, that sounds right. I was just going by memory. Probably my weakest strength!

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
joeleitz

I know someone that re-did the whole interior of his mobile home and it looks great. He used a patching compound to fill in the texture that was part of the original phony wood paneling and then painted over it after carefully sanding it smooth. Then he got some interesting wall decals and spaced out some interesting ones in various rooms in his home. It looks very modern and up to date now an not like the 1970's-style catastrophe that it was initially. You could try something like that if you really want an updated look. It was a big job though, so be forewarned!