How do you get a resale value on a mobile home?

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Here's the question and sorry if I've posted it in the wrong place, I couldn't find a place that seemed right.

For the last 4 yrs. our taxes have gone up on our 1996 Fleetwood S (Standard) model 16X80. It was currently assessed at roughly $22,000. There is no way we are going to get that much for it on resale. We own the home but rent a space in a MH park, so the city (Rosenberg, TX) is taxing us solely on the home.

We looked up the tax rate of other MH's in our park that are rented out. Younger models are being charged less taxes but even if I bring that to court to protest our tax rate, I don't have anything that says "the resale value of a Fleetwood S type 1996 16X80 sells for Blank in this area." There are no other Fleetwoods in our park and no other 1996s.

There are only 4 out of 22 homes that are personally owned, the others are owned by the park manager and rented out. When someone moves, if they owned their home, the manager buys them out at a very low sum (my home would probably go for less than $6,000).

We aren't allowed to rent out our homes if we move. We can't sell our home to another person or allow them to assume the mortgage. So, we either sell to the manager or move it off site at ~ $2,000 then try to sell it without land. An option that seems hard to swallow.

I'm don't know how to value my home for tax purposes when I know all I'd get for it is less than half what the city says it would go for. Any ideas how to handle this?? There's no blue book I've found on MH's or maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks to all who can help. I have until the 31st of May to protest.
Sylvia

I contacted the assessor on the other home we own. It doesn't even have an actual furnace in it and they said with a coat of paint it caused it to more than double in the assessed value.

They agreed that paint is nice but doesn't do that much and lowered it back down to almost where it was.
Yanita

Hi,

Your city/county tax assessors office should be able to tell you the mathematical equation they use to determine your tax rate. Your local bank (or at least mine) also has a book, similar to the NADA for cars that also give the estimated value of the home.

Welcome to the site and hopefully you will enjoy it as much as the rest of us! :D

I am going to move this thread to the OFF TOPIC forum as this is not a repair question...follow me there...

Have a great day!

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!