New camera port-battery pack-smart charger

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Dean3

Hi all,I just bought a camera. I found a large battery pack for sale online and would like to adapt it to work so I don't have to mess with 4 AAs when doing heavy shooting practice. The main quest I have is this- Does anyone know the exact name or the specific type of the 5V power port or plug to fit it in this picture?
coolpix l100 plug.JPG
((It is the black port under the gold USB port.))

I have searched and searched for something other than generic names like "port/jack/plug/pin/prong". Most results are for barrel shaped jacks or plugs. I have found some similar shapes but nothing exact and am about to start bouncing off the walls :shock: :x :? :roll:

Nikon doesn't make a large pack for this camera but I'm quite sure an after market pack I found would work if I could find the correct plug wich is not included. The pack attaches to the bottom using the tripod threads then just plug it into the external power jack,I like that idea alot!

I have rechargeable AAs and a new smart charger that will do the trick for now. I am using it now to refresh some batteries. A smart charger with digital readout is way cool,wish I would have had one years ago instead of destroying battery capacity with fast chargers.

TY for reading,maybe you can extend my wit's end! :lol:
Greg

Cannon makes one for their cameras that uses a plug in battery pack. The ONLY way I would try to make something would be to incorporate a battery pack & charger. The last thing you want in a camera is excessive voltage, Fried electronics make the camera useless. Check with some high end camera shops in your area and see if they have any ideas. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Dean3

The camera has a 5v port but uses 4 1.5v AAs wich equals 6v when full,,if using rechargeable they are only 1.2v so = 4.8v.The proposed pack is 7.2v but claims to be "true 5v pack". I believe many things that use batteries will handle some limited range of voltage to allow for change as the battery loses charge and such.There are apparently ways to step down the voltage too. I guess I didn't clarify before but the pack I mentioned is a battery pack wich comes with it's own charger.

It should be the easiest thing to find a darned plug to match,but nooooo, :lol: . I've asked several places including Nikon,no reply yet.
bill w

Go to Steves-digicams.com. It is a site that reviews cameras and has a very good forum.
Bill W.
Dean3

Thanks Bill,but,already asked there.

I've come to the conclusion that BH Photo is right and Nikon is the only place that can help. I suppose it's a proprietary thing so they can sell more of the specific AC to DC power supply units. If there is a place to find matching plugs it is well hidden from me. If it is a new shape of plug maybe they will come available later.