Solid surface countertops

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Suzque49

We are thinking about remodeling our kitchen in the next few months, just looking at options now.
I want to do it as inexpensively as possible, but still have a good outcome.
I know I want some type of solid surface countertop, low maintenace, durable. I do not want tile or laminate, and granite/natural stone is way too pricey.
I have been looking online and found counters like "shirestone" "silestone" and of course corian and formica solid surface. I have only succeded in confusing myself even more. The websites dont really answer my questions like weight, installation, price.
Does anyone here have the answers to these questions? Do home improvement stores carry this type of countertop? I like to pretty much know what I am looking for before I actually go shopping. Thanks Susan
Susan
DecoratingChallenged

I can't help you, I haven't even started thinking of counter tops yet, but good luck to you!
Yanita

You can google home improvment stores by name in your area...most will give you an idea, if not the websites will explain how to measure then call the store for a quote/estimate. Granite generally is sold at specialty shops, I have not seen them at my Lowe's.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

You can figure around $100/FT. for Granite, plus the time to have it made for you.
I have done two Tile counter tops that have worked well. The cost on tile is dependent on the tiles you choose.
If you want a solid surface, and have eliminated Granite & tile, that does not leave many options left. Check http://www.ronhazelton.com, He did a concrete top on his show this week, I'm not sure if it's on the website yet.
Personally I think you may want to rethink the tile option, the price may not be as bad as you think. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Suzque49

Greg
I have tile countertops now and I don't like them at all. The grout is a royal pain to keep clean and sanitized. it's chipped too. I had tile in another house I had and put in formica when I remodel the kitchen in the next home and concrete stains easily if not kept sealed. I dont want maintainence issues.
We will have about 12 ft on one side and probably 6 to 8 ft on the other, so about 40 sq ft of counter and at $100 sq ft that is way too expensive.
I am a real bargin hunter, (We built our 1000 sq ft covered deck for around $8000). I may be crazy, but I am hoping to spend a lot less then $10,000. (New flooring, sink, faucet, cabinets, countertop and lighting and paint).
Susan
Greg

OK, depending on the size, I KNOW that (in the North East) you can do kitchen for $10k. I did ours for less than $2500. The key is going to be the cabinets, Sorry but I don't feel that you need to spend BIG money on name brand cabinets and that is where the savings can add up fast. I'm not saying go buy unfinished cabinets either, they are usually made of Partical board (JUNK!!) take your time and look around there are quality inexpensive cabinets made. I found Sunco, they do not have ANY Partical board in them, ALL hardwood & plywood. The only thing that turns some people off is that you have to assemble them. It is a simple job that takes 10-20 minuets to do. I averaged around $150 each when I did ours. I could not buy the materials and make them for that money.
Do LOTS of shopping around, I know with some work you can get the price in your range. Greg
Suzque49

Thanks, is Sunco a local company or online? We live in Calif and if I could order them online that would be great, I will look for a webpage.
I don't believe in buying "name brand" just for the sake of the name :roll: when I can get something comparable (and a sometimes better) for less money.
No way will I put up particle board cabinets and I dont mind putting them together either.
Susan
Susan
Greg

This is my local supplier, I doubt they have stores on the west cost.

http://www.bargain-outlets.com/

You can google Sunco cabinets and possibly find a supplier near you. Greg
Suzque49

I did google it and fonnd Sunco distributor in Woodland Ca, up by Sacramento.
I also checked on ebay, found another dealer for "Less Care" cabinets. seems they have all wood cabinets too. the one on ebay was $995 for 10 cabnets, (their standard 10x10 setup). I am sure if I cont to look I will find a lot more.
Thanks for the lead. I appriciate all the help I can get
Susan
JD
Site Admin

We looked at solid surface countertops for a bathroom a while back and ended up going with Zodiaq Quartz. It is heat resistant, scratch resistant, does not require sealants and just plain beautiful. Really happy with the product.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
crackur

JD wrote:We looked at solid surface countertops for a bathroom a while back and ended up going with Zodiaq Quartz. It is heat resistant, scratch resistant, does not require sealants and just plain beautiful. Really happy with the product.

JD
what rates of price did you get?
JD
Site Admin

I don't remember the SF price but I remember that it was expensive, even at my contractor price through my supplier. All things being relative, I remember it was just a little more Corian.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.