Framing / Trimming Windows

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

DecoratingChallenged

One more question for today.

Our windows are all 'double' windows. In other words, there is the outside, original window, and then another one set on the inside. The current 'trim' of every single window in the house is the aluminum casing, screwed in with hex-head screws. The red arrows point to the screws in my kitchen window.

I would like to start framing in the windows in the common areas, with either a decorative trim, or even just 1x4 boards, painted or stained, I'm not sure which. However, I don't know how to deal with the screws. I mentioned it to my husband last night, and said I could just take out the hex-head screws, and use the screw for the trim to hold the windows up, countersinking the screws and using wood filler over the holes. He made the valid point that I won't know where the screw holes in the metal are. I suppose I could use metal flat head screws and just run new holes through the windows, but I was wondering if there are any ideas that would be better or easier.

BTW, I am quite disappointed that the photo album section is gone, I enjoyed looking at the pictures very much.
Greg

The easiest way around the problem may be to cut trim to fit and press up against the screw head. Once you have the locations, take a drill and drill a shallow hole to allow enough room for the screw head. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
DecoratingChallenged

I'd considered that, actually, but couldn't think how I'd know where the screw were - I envisioned a measuring tape and a lot of misplaced shallow holes in the wood. That is a very good idea... I could even color the heads with a pencil and they would leave marks on the wood.

Thank you!
Greg S

If you put something like lipstick or a small dab of paint on the screw head and place the molding over top it should leave a visible mark on the back of the molding. Use a drill bit larger than the screw head to allow some adjustment of the molding when fitting.
You could also replace all the existing screws with bevel head screws that should pull down into the aluminum frame flush with the surface. Recessing the holes in the metal frame with a large punch (bolt) before installing new screws will also help to set the screws flush with the surface of the aluminum frame.
Assuming all the screws are in line you could also cut your molding to fit then run the back side over a table saw or router creating a shallow groove in the back of the molding in line with the screw heads.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
DecoratingChallenged

^ Also excellent ideas and tips, thank you.

I think I probably won't switch out all the screws because there are a bunch of them, but the lipstick idea would likely be better than a pencil.
DecoratingChallenged

I want to save you typing. I've been working my way back, page by page, and way back on page , I found a duplicate thread to this one. https://www.mobilehomerepair.com/phpbb/v ... f=8&t=2110 It seems I used the wrong search terms when I looked before posting this thread, because it didn't show up.

Before you type out a long response, you may want to see if it's addressed there. I know it's annoying to type out unnecessary information!

I would still greatly appreciate any hints, ideas, etc. that are not addressed in this thread or the other one. Thank you!
flcruising

Another simple way to find the screw heads is to lay the trim over them, then a block of wood over the trim that you can tap with a hammer. Wouldn't take much force and the screw heads will leave a dimple in the trim where you should countersink for them.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Yanita

We made it real simple when we trimmed out ours in the old single wide....used a dato blade set to the correct depth, made the groove all the way, no marking no fussing wala...done!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
DecoratingChallenged

^ That would be simple, except I don't have that type of equipment. It's all very low-tech here.Image I think I may end up needing to buy a miter box and saw, though - and bring my low-tech tool collection up a level.