"Fake" Basement

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

DoubleWideDrama

There are a lot of doublewides around here that have cinder blocks instead of skirting around their double-wides. Is there a benefit to this except for looks? None of them actually have basements.
Greg

Depending on if the blocks are placed on some type of footer, it could act as perimeter blocking and help support the outer walls. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
DoubleWideDrama

So it wouldn't be beneficial to put them under ours?
Greg

As long as there is some type of footer under the blocks and not just the dirt, then the blocks should help support the outside walls. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Brenda (OH)

if the double wides are on land, it may be that the cinderblocks are a qualified installation that allowed the owner to switch the mobile home from personal property to deeded real estate....

in some areas, that increases the value of the home and land because some banks will write (or used to) write limited loans for mobile homes on permanent foundations that also included the land.

It was not as good of terms as stick built housing (I one time heard it was 15 yr loans, and you had to have 30% down) but with the current mortgage crisis, those loan packages types may be gone with the wind....

Brenda (OH)