screening in a deck

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

macmom

We have a large deck. 20x24 upper, 16x24 lower. we would like to screen in the upper deck. The upper deck is about 4 feet off of the ground. Can anyone lead us in the right direction in how to start it. I kinda wanted a tin for the roof. I enjoy the sound of rain on a tin roof. Any help would certainly be appreciated....macmom
Yanita

Hi Macmom,

Hope everything is well in you area of NC!

Not to long ago Robert posted this site. I have glanced thru briefly and it looks like a good site, I'll leave the link...

http://www.buildeazy.com/

Have a good night!

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Maureen

Hi Macmom!

I also love the sound rain hitting the aluminum roof on our deck. It was much sweeter when we had the carport also! It's just a really nice sound.

Now, if you're thinking about screening in a deck, I'd use wood framing and then cover that with corrugated aluminum.

I've looked at several options to replace our carport.

Now, for us, with the wind and snow loads that we have to endure, I've decided to wait until we have the cash to construct a wood frame with an aluminum roof. Ours will be 40 feet by 20 to fit 2 cars. That also will cover the back deck.

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Yanita

Hmmm,

We must have different tolerances..I am so glad to not have a metal roof on this home, our singlewide had a metal roof...when it rained the tv had to be so loud that I was certain the neighbors could hear it!

To get some shade on our back deck we put up a pergola! Hopefully the newly planted roses will reach to the top this year!

Macmom, remember to post a pic of your project, personally I would like to see your decks as they are now...we are considering a split level deck here, we had one at the other home.

Have a great day!
~Yanita~
Maureen

My bad, sometimes I forget that some of you get more rain than we do out West here LOL! We only get that type of rain a few times a year. Since we have a roof over, we only get that rain on metal sound from the awning over the deck. It's not quite as loud.

But yeah, if it's a Summer storm and I have the doors open, I do have to turn up the TV, if it's on. For the most part, we're usually enjoying the sound of the rain that time of year. I sit and pray it lasts an hour so I have one less watering day!

You'd have to live in the bone dry desert to understand this LOL! I must admit, even though the precip out here causes a lot of hassels, it's much better than facing a bone dry year like we've had this year! There has been no green in the mountains or the hills this year. Fire season hasn't stopped from last year. First time in over 50 years that I've seen that!

We're on major fire alert at all times! Bring on the rain!

Hey Yanita, I'll have to check out your album! I just haven't had enough to time to do more than breeze by the questions right now. Can't wait to see all the improvements around your home!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Yanita

LOL, I still do not have the album.

Looks like I won't be taking pics for a while either.

Sunday the 2 oldest Granddaughters (Abby and Kayla) had a dance recital...well I was crouched down front getting pics when youngest granddaughter (Emily) came up behind me, I started to lose my balance, put my hand down, (cuss word) the one with the camera in it, zoom lens out and it hit the floor. Currently the lens is at a real odd angle.....so much for that camera!

LOL, I have no guilt on not having photos in the album though...I do not recall any albums from Greg (nor an avatar), Robert or you!

Take care,

~Yanita~
Greg

Come on guys, give me a break!!! I really don't have a lot of time this time of year to learn how to navigate around this Vista. Things that were simple in XP are a major pain if not IMPOSSIBLE with vista. Yanita you were on the phone with me just TRYING to log on!!! Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi Greg,....

Whine, whine, whine...I had to jump thru hoops with the last site when I was still using W98!

Ok, I will cut you some slack, I do know what you go thru to just be able to sign in!

BUT, LOL, I do have a pic of you!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Oh, Macmom...let me bring this back to the topic at hand, did you find anything on that link that I left for you?

~Yanita~