Finding some info about an older trailer

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

clayman612

What I was wondering is does anyone have a clue if my 1973 Skyline Buddy 14x70 has copper wiring or that nasty aluminum wiring it has a fuse box and I want to upgrade to circuit breakers Any info would be greatly appreciated Thanks
DCDiva

It is a good possibility--the codes changed around this time--I have a 1973 and 1974--we are totally gutting ours and the first thing we did was cut out all of the electric--well the 1st thing we changed lol we removed all the paneling first,with everything open--the electric is not connected--we just cut it all out and rewired in a few hours--the main run in in the ceiling,instead of running in the walls--the ceiling is 2x2 top a 6in paneling pieces and another 2x2 so all open--I have been posting about our adventure lol--we are replacing the floor right now--I will post an up to date photo album soon
Melissa
clayman612

Hi Melissa thanks for the info but I am not at a point to redo all my wiring I am trying to just get it livable and not have any fire hazards I have read alot of horror stories about aluminum wire I will have to wait and take out a few plugins and inspect the wire we have about 15 inches of snow on the ground and I have no utilities to the trailer yet so I will have to wait.Is there any resources out there for specs on older mobiles.You would think that with all that are still habitable there would be some sort of data base but I sure can't find it
Greg

Hi, Please see our "Sticky" post concerning Gas & Electrical questions. I would recommend either buying a good Home Electrical repair book or contacting a qualified Electrician.
Again, We are not trying to be hard to get along with, but If you need to ask that type of question you should not be messing around with electricity and risking your life. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Greg

As for specifics on your home, Unless you can find someone that has a sheet, your odds are better on the lottery.
HUD became involved in the Mobile Home industry in the 70's and wrote industry standards. Many manufacturers, even ones that exceeded the new standards simply closed their doors rather than deal with HUD and with the closings went many dumpsters full of blueprints.
Even manufacturers today only keep the prints for homes for around 10 years. That is why I recommend that ANYONE that buys a new home, get a set of prints with it. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."