height to set double wide home

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

debadriaenssens

Hi
I have a 1999 Palm Harbor double wide I will be moving to another location that is in a flood plan. I was thinking about having it set up 4 ft off the ground on blocks and tie downs. What would be the advantage if any (other than it being higher off the ground in a flood zone) or disadvantages, would there be more problems with plumbing or pipes bursting or becoming unlevel?
Harry

Hi

What is the local code? Where is the setup?

In Florida you can go up to 52" of blocking but after 36" your piers need to be "double tiered and blocks interlocked". Anything higher would need special approval.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
flcruising

Our finish floor is set about 5' high because of the flood plane we are in too. Our county requires the floor to be a minimum of 12" above the FEMA 100 year flood zone. Definitely call your county.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Greg

If you are going that high, you may as well go a little more and have a basement. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
flcruising

Greg, if you're in a flood plane, I'd be surprised if they let you put in a basement. All of the residence must be above the flood plane. Maybe it could be considered a tall crawlspace. But either way, if they could put it in, the belongings they store inside probably wouldn't be covered under a flood policy.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Harry

Hi

No basements either over here....but we have a few garages/carports.

Harry
Last edited by Harry on Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
debadriaenssens

I was probably going to use the underneath for storage,I guess it should be easier to fix problems such as plumbing:)
Greg

Perhaps Basement was the wrong term, My thought was to make it USABLE space, even if it is for storage or garage space. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."