Fan blowing, but no forced air out the vents

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

knix

Problem - no air coming out of vents.

We have a 3 wide 1996 MH. First it was the kitchen vent that stopped, then it was the Living room. Now we have no forced air coming out of any of our vents.

Semi Solved. During our unsually cold time, my husband opened up under our house for our cats to take refuge under the house. Well after me trouble shooting 3 evenings , and 3 evenings worth of coldness, and 3 evenings of him complaining that it was cold in the house. I figured out that The CATS HAVE BEEN SITTING ON THE EXPOSED INSULATED DUCTS AND SMASHED THEM IN PLACES.

(I am really frustrated, because he is mad at me for not letting the cats in the house, I am mad at him for complaining about it being cold in the house and expecting me to fix it - or figure out how to come up with 300 or more for hvac guy to come out. Him not helping, except when drug into hand me tools.)

ANYWAY.

Under our Furnace it divides into two large plastic ducts. All of the vents in the house are attached to metal ducting. I am guessing that, the two large insulated ducts go out under the belly and loop back up into the house to connect to the metal ducting.

I think, that the insulated plastic ducting before the cats had their way with it, was hung from the underside of the MH.

SO the plan for fixing it is
tomorrow, climb under the claustrophobic buggy, cat poop and piss crawlspace.
1. fluff up the smashed vents
2. rehang them? with plumbing strapping.
3. make sure all the cats are not under the house
4. Shut ALL the openings
5. Shower and dress up nice
6. Go buy myself something nice for putting up with problem making and helplessness.

Any Advice about fixing the ducting or If I am thinking of doing it wrong PLEASE set me straight.

Thankyou

Holly
knix

I found Robert had already answered some of my questions in this post
Robert wrote:Hi, <snip>

zip ties, sheet metal screws and foil backed tape to connect and seal joints and seams.

Support it every 4 to 6 feet with web strapping.

Thanks,
Robert
SchemeFighter

knix wrote:my husband opened up under our house for our cats to take refuge under the house
You might want to build a cathouse so you're not tempted to let them under the house and they're not tempted to try to get under the house if they're out.

I fostered a cat/kitten for a while. I had to put it outside so I could clean up the house. So I left the door off a pet taxi and put a heating pad on the floor of the pet taxi and put a towel over the heating pad and then I put some plastic over the top of the pet taxi to keep rain and snow out. I have an external outlet with the GFI. The kitten would come out long enough to eat and go to the bathroom then it would run back into its nice warm pet taxi. It wasn't real warm but it was warm enough to keep the cat from suffering. The pet taxi was good at keeping the owls and Hawks from having the kitten for lunch.
Greg

Under your home is no place for critters, they can do a lot of damage in a little time. In addition they open you home up to a whole list of other related problems such as an entrance for mice, frozen pipes since the underbelly is open to the cold and as you know damage to heating ducts. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Robert

Hi Holly,

Take the flex duct loose from collar connectors, measure diameter of the collars and go buy four 90* elbows for the four collar connectors.

Attach them with 5/16" head sheet metal screws and wrap foil tape around that 2-3 times.

Get NEW flex duct of correct size.

The 4 ells are A, B, C and D .

Stretch flex duct tight between A and B and do same with another flex duct between C and D.

Roll plastic and insulation back, place 4 screws in the 90* ell, one on each side at base of the 90* turn.

Run spiral wire and insulation/plastic up over ell and hook spiral wire over the 4 screw heads, then tighten down on the wire with lip of head.

Wrap 3-4 turns of foil tape over this, pull insulation and plastic up, secure with one large or 2-3 medium zip ties and wrap 3-4 turns of foil tape.

Do same at each ell, be sure flex is tight and support every 4 to 6 feet with web starpping just barely touching flex.

This eliminates kinking, collapsing, sagging and is best for using flex.

Secure belly and skirting.

Old coveralls and tape at ankles and wrists and a old boggen and safety glasses.

Headlamps are wonderful here.

Large cardboard to lay on. Put tools and supplies in old satchel, backpack, etc and pull to you with rope.

Lay the ells and flex duct boxes on cardboard and slide it ahead of you.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?