Sterling Shower Stall

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Harry

Hi
A while ago JD recommended a Sterling Advantage™ Tile Seated Shower unit…..I think it was. I went to HD recently to look at one and I think we’ll get one.

Here’s some questions I have…at this time:
1. How do you make the correct mortar base?
2. What material to use to frame the flanges?

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
JD
Site Admin

For a fiberglass or ABS tub without insulating foam on the bottom, I use Structo-Lite. It is a base coat material used in walls. About $15 for a 50LB bag- Usually found at stores that supply stucco and redash contractors. I haven't mudded a foam base tub so I don't know if the structolite is good for foam.

On the nail flange of the tub, they usually just fasten to studs 16" oc. The drain pipe access is 6"x12", just cut into the subfloor. You have to measure the room or alcove to determine whether you will be removing wallboard. I usually shim my base wall panels out so the bath wall panels go over the flange flat without flaring in.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Harry

Hi JD

Thanks for the reply.

The base has no foam. The instructions say to NOT use plaster, gypsum cement, or drywall compound for the mortar.

The flange - I need to cover it up with something water proof.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
JD
Site Admin

Well, don't use Structo-Lite if you can't use plaster. i would still look for a motar mix with perlite in it. Makes it a lot lighter and more insulating.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Harry

Hi

Thanks and you'all have a nice Christmas.

Harry