Hot water heater

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

voldo37

My Hot Water heater started leaking friday night and I was lucky enough to get a plummer to come out Saturday morning and put a shutoff valve on the water inlet so we could shut the water off for the weekend. It was 14 years old so it was probably time - but why did it have to happen right before Christmas!! Dang!! He is going to come out and replace it on Monday but I had a question on how big a water heater I really need. The current water heater is a 40 gallon and I have never had any problems running out of hot water. I am a single guy that takes a hot shower in the morning, runs one load of laundry with hot water on the weekends and runs the dishwasher once a week so I really don't need a lot of hot water - but then again I don't really know how much hot water I currently use doing those things. Is 40 gallons overkill?? The plummer said he had a 50 gallon AOSmith with a 10 gallon expansion chamber in stock that would cost about the same as another 40 gallon but to me this really sounds like to much. It might cost the same to install but it would definitely cost more to heat 50 gallons vs 40 gallons - right?? Or is it not going to be much of a difference?? Does anyone have any thoughts on getting the bigger water heater - yes or no - or any other thoughts??

Also, just being a little curious here - how much more do those tankless water heaters cost over a regular water heater?? I always thought a tankless water heater would not cost as much to run which would make up for the additional up front cost.

thanks
Kurt
Harry

Hi

My bride and I have a 30 gal. We like it fine. And when the rest of the tribe comes to visit ....no problem.

I replace heaters once they get 10 years old..... preventive maintenance is less expensive I think.

Our currect electric WH has 2 elements...fast recovery.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Greg

Kurt, I think that a 30 gal. is one of the most common. They can be had for around $200 ant most of the big box stores and not hard to install your self if you are pinching pennies like the rest of us.

As you learned, install water shutoffs!!! It seems like there is not a Mobile made that has any from the factory. Whenever I do any plumbing work I plan on adding a shutoff on what I am working on. Use either a Gate type or a 1/4 turn ball valve stay away from the plastic valves, they tend to fail when you need them the most. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
voldo37

OK - so a 30 gallon would be enough? I'm going to call this guy before he comes out and see if he has one - I just don't think I need a 50 gallon. I can see that it wouldn't be that hard to install except for the fact that it didn't have any shutoffs - after this time I can probably do it myself. I am also going to have him replace my kitchen faucet and add shutoffs below it as it also doesn't have any shutoffs and the faucet leaks everytime I use it.
Greg

As long as you are having him install shutoffs make sure you have a main shutoff inside the home so you can get to it in an emergency.

We have had a 30 gal for almost 20 years with 3 kids at home at one point we rarely had a problem, just when one of the kids wanted to be a brat and use all of the hot water before school. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Robert

Probably too late, but you could have had him to just install the shut-offs only. Then you could have did the rest DIY and save some $$$$.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?