Small roaches & mice in my house

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

homebuff

:x We have some differant type of roaches I have never seen before in our house but we are getting rid of little by little.
They don't look like the black type.
They started getting in our house after some next door neighbers were evicted for making meth drugs.
They all came to our house.
I found that glue traps have been doing ok but they tend to like living & laying their eggs inside appliances & electronics for some reason or another.
Had to take apart all of them to kill the eggs & droppings they left behind.
Mice have started coming around but are getting a head start on them.
Glue traps have been our solution.
Just had to add this info if anyone needs some assistance.
Happy Holidays to all the staff & online friends. :D
I am a certified ford diesel tech, "Retired Now" Ford Parts Department counter man, computer consultant, repairman & programmer
Greg

You could also try tossing some moth balls under your home, that may help repel some of the mice. Now if you can just find something that repels worthless neighbors!! Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
homebuff

:D Yeh Greg
The neighbers got raided & we could smell the lab cooking from our kitchen window.
I got a head start on the mice intruders thanks to my wife who told me the other day while she was relaxing in the bathroom LOL Hon I saw a mouse running out of my bathroom & was heading for the bird cage.
Great place to put a glue trap, right under the cage & we caught one 2 days later.
The bird also sounds an alarm by really talking real loud saying help.
Yes he talks too.
The bugs have a tendancy to get in his cage but we have them really bad in the kitchen area.
Their really small roaches which I have never seen before.
Used to seeing those larger ones back a long time ago.
Like I said, they got in all our electronics.
They must like the electrical static they put out.
Or the warmth.
They even get in the fridg & I thought they hated the cold.
Have a Happy & Safe Holiday Season Greg.
Best wishes to you & your family.
David
I am a certified ford diesel tech, "Retired Now" Ford Parts Department counter man, computer consultant, repairman & programmer
Greg

A bug bomb or two may help also, but you would need to get everyone and all of pets out for a few hours. greg
homebuff

Thanks for that valuble info.
Have to watch what I put in the house cause my wife has Fibro & is very sensitive to smell & its upsets her & makes her go nuts.
Might give the mothballs a try again.
Put them under the trlr a long time ago but I don't think I put enough under there.
I'll keep buying those glue traps also.
Have a male & female cat & some kittens lingering around our house & cats seem to keep mice away.
Take care.
Dean3

Will the next door landlord clean and bug bomb the old druggie house in and under it? That might help a little with your battle.If it's not already condemned and somebody moves in they might just feed the little critters and add to your(and other neighbors)problems.

I'm glad I don't live where there are worse things like lots of Black Widows,Brown Recluse,Scorpions,etc. There are Timber Rattlers around but very few and far between,snakes will follow mice to buildings I guess.With the cornfield nearby there's just no way to not get a few mice every year. There are some cats in the neighborhood here,they and the owls help keep the mice down.

Many people don't talk about vermin they get,but,it's good to share methods of extermination. I use snap traps for mice and shrews,soap and water spray for bugs and spiders.

Dean
homebuff

:) Thank's Dean3 for responding.
Yes the landlord did spray & had an exterminator go in & bomb the trlr.
The landlord told me he could not see how they could stand living there with all those bugs.
He told me when he went in they were all over the place & scattered when he walked in.
He opened one of the closet doors & they were all crawling on the door.
This job looks like it needed the Terminator & not a exterminator.
I had to go see for myself & it was a disaster indeed.
I cominced to spraying all around the parameter of my yard & trlr at first but did not help.
The cats do help with keeping mice down.
I'm not about to let that happen again since the last batch just about tore up our house.
Got to go
david
Dean33

I have used Combat roach bait, it worked , no roaches for several years now. Good Luck.
Dean
homebuff

I've got about 10 of those also scattered around my house in places where the dogs can't get to them.
If a dog was to get ahold of one & chew it up it would kill them.
Every night before I go to bed those bugs come out of my covers & I have stickey traps all around my bed.
They do tend to catch alot of bugs though.
If you ever encounter any of those small bugs look inside your dvd players or microwave & see if you see any lurking around like in the digital displays.
When I took my dvd player & microwave & also my electronic stove, I found all sorts of droppings & eggs & had to take them outside & kill them.
Didn't want to see them start scattering all inside the house.
I'm getting rid of little by little.
They even have a tendency to get inside your computers & that's where I draw the line.
I put the little roach traps inside them as well.
It's like a war zone around here. :shock:
This post will most likly get locked since weir chit chatting to one another.
Need's to be a free chat room here to chat back & forth about these subjects.
But I know it is a troubleshooting site.
Sorry Mark, Greg & Yanita
Greg

The other cure for the neighbors place may be 5 gallons of gas & a match. Greg
homebuff

Why worry, their going to kill themself's anyway someday doing that stuff.
Look what they put in that stuff.
It stinks & we alway's know when they move in cause we smell it from our backyard.
Yanita

Hi Homebuff and others...

No, you won't get in trouble, but as you know we try to reserve the "Repair" forum for just that...repairs. Since this is not about repairs we like to either have it posted in the decorating/landscaping forum or Off Topics. Both of those forums are welcome to have "chit chat".

Now to contribute to your post...I have used Boric Acid, bought from the $$ stores for a few bucks. It is a powder and I apply it to the base of the floor mouldings. It seems to keep the spiders etc at bay. I have 3 cats and a dog and no problems with it for them thus far.

Merry Christmas,

Yanita

PS, I am moving this to the Off Topics forum, please follow there.
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
homebuff

:) Thank's Yanita for redirecting to this post.
I took your advice a long while back about usung the Boric Acid Powder but my wife insist on me not using it because of the dogs & bird.
You mentioned something about mixing it up in a paste form like peanut butter I believe on a post a long time ago.
We like keeping the grandady long legs around cause they do eat the small bugs.
Just hate having them in my shower when i'm taking a shower.
Kinda creepy but I got used to them being around.
The small bugs are in my microwave again & most likely back in my other electronics & kitchen appliances.
One thing I can't understand is why they get into our fridge.
I thought they didn't like the cold.
They tend to get into our dishwasher as well.
I need to ask one more thing.
Have been searching for where I go to edit my home info & pictures so they will be there for you & the moderators to view so I don't have to keep posting them to every post.
Pictures & such.
Thank's :wink:
David
RandyD

Yanita wrote:
$$ stores

What kind of stores are these?
Buy Quality.......Cry Only Once!!!!!
Brenda OH

I have a friend that makes his own roach paste. It is boric acid, shortening, milk, a chunk of onion (if you live in the home, you may want to skip the onion) powder sugar, and a little vanilla.

basically, think frosting with a kick....

you put it in a plastic bag, cut a small hole in the corner, and squeeze it under the sink near openings, a line under the fridge, and if you can, next to the wall, in back of cupboards etc.

wait 10 days, and treat again.

I did a home, and did not see more roaches, but most of the roaches had been killed when the home stood empty at less than 20 degrees F for a week. You can maybe treat the electronics by putting them in a plastic bag, and into the freezer overnight. you could not do this if there are liquid crystal displays though... freezing cold is an effective treatment.

mice, yuck, I am fighting them too, what a mess they make.

Brenda (OH)