General Heating / Air Circulation Question

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

dd716ted

I live in a manufactured home that has a Coleman Electric Furnace / Heat Pump installed. This question is brought about by the extremely cold weather (7 degrees) we are now experiencing.. When the furnace is running (either using heat pump alone or sometimes along with 2 stage electric), I have notice that there seems to be a slight vaccuum in the house as cold outside air is being drawn in through the microwave/stove vent and other places. Is this caused by the furnace fan unit requiring more air intake than what it is putting out as warm air? If this is the case is it best to keep all floor vents wide open (not closed in un-used rooms) to permit maximum flow/circulation. There is also a solenoid valve on top of the furnace intake that sometimes opens to bring in outside air but now it is closed when the furnace is running..(I'm not sure how this electric butterfly valve is controlled). Also bathroom exhaust vents are sometimes running (on a timer) when the furnace is on..(Should they be set to manual and only used when needed or after showers?). Comments Please....
Robert

Hi,

Do not close or block off any registers, bathroom exhausts should only run during showers and for a a few minutes afterwords until steam has dissipated.

The damper is probably a Deluxe Blend Air II system damper for bringing in fresh air and should be a control box mounted on front of furnace for that.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
dd716ted

Thanks for the reply... all vents have since been opened.. and bathroom exhaust fans will only be run after shower... however there is no control box for the outside air vent anywhere on the furnace... Will have to further research how it is controlled... Thanks
Robert

Hi,

You're very welcome, happy to help. This will help determine if you have a blend air system :

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/ArticleBlendAir.html

Run bathroom exhaust during showers as well, that is when most damage is done from the moisture in the air.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
dd716ted

Thank you ever so much for the information concerning the Blend Air System.. I have printed them and put them in my house book... When inspecting the control box for the "Standard Blend Air" system, I noticed the the rocker switch on the unit was in the "Off" position.. I couldn't find anywhere in the instructions where the switch should be so I put it in the "Auto" position..I have no idea who put in in "Off"... Is "Auto" the the correct position? Thanks again for all the help and information.. I sincerely appreciate it!
Robert

Hi,

You're very welcome, happy to help.

You will have a control box for heating. Then if you have a deluxe blend air II system, you'll have another control box for that.

Then, if you have a/c also, you would have a third control box for that .

So, you could have one to three boxes. IF you only have one, then it is a heating only control box.

The switch you are referring to, is it on top kinda like on a shelf about midway of furnace or is it on the front of a control box ?

Sometimes, those are bypasses and other times they are still wired in. Best to keep it in auto to be sure it is correct.

IF you go to top toolbar in blue and click articles, you'll find several for home tasks. Also look at the books and parts link.

Then click hvac and when the toolbar turns green, click articles and find several more for hvac tasks and info.

Thanks,
Robert