Relevel - Questions

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Denise

I'm starting to look for someone to re-level our DW. What are the 'key' questions to ask so that we get the job done right? How much 'interior' inspection is necessary, it worries me to death to have strangers in the house anymore? We are not in the physical condition to do it ourselves. How is the job priced, by flat rate or by labor intensive process? How does one go about finding someone to do the job? There are no listings in the phone book. The home is a Fleetwood 1999 approximately 1750 sq ft. Thanks in advance.
Harry

Hi

No need for the workers to come inside.

Call MH dealers in your area and get some info and phone numbers.

You want them to use a water level....not a carpenters level.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Greg

Harry hit it right on the head, the key question is what type or level do they use. A water level is the ONLY type of level that will work around the pipes, wires and piers that your home sits on. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

If you are certain that you want a relevel performed, your contractor will not need to see inside the home. If you want his opinion if you need a relevel, I would imagine that he might want to see inside. I know I would.

When the relevel is done, the contractor should check entry doors and egress windows to be sure they still function properly. I will usually reset loose trim as well if needed.

I agree with Harry and Greg that a tube water level should be used. But just having a tube water level does not mean that it will work well. It must be clear of all visible air bubbles to work properly. I have seen guys just fill the tube, cap the ends and crawl under the home. Or maybe give a half hearted effort at removing bubbles. The bubbles can throw a level off by quite a bit.

If your back and/or front door deck/step/landing is almost level with the bottom of the entry doors, especially outswing mobile home doors, screen and security doors, you might ask him how he handles that area when releveling. Kind of a rhetorical question, but it may give you insight if he knows what he is doing. Same thing about attached decks (a no-no), if you have them, ask him how he will handle that problem. Tell him that you do not want your skirting crushed by lowering a home too much. If you have skirting with a wood frame behind it, nailed to the home and attached to the ground or concrete, you might ask how that will be handled.

There are different correct answers for these questions. You just want to know that he has already considered these issues and has a good plan to work with.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Denise

Thanks so much for the assistance!

I lived in Southern California and my parents moved into a Mobile Home Community after retirement. After each earthquake from 1990 to 2002 their home was inspected and releveled if needed. My home, is in dire need of being releveled! I have brick skirting all the way around the house with a concrete porch in front and freestanding steps at the side door and a freestanding deck in back off the patio doors. The home has been here for 10 years and if I take a tennis ball and put it on the floor at the front of the house it will roll to the back side of the house. The vinyl siding is popping loose. Any liquids I place on the kitchen island will overflow the container on the side toward the back of the house. I really think it needs releveling.

There are several other issues that need to be addressed that I will be asking for advise about, but this is the priority.

Thanks again and tomorrow starts the hunt for a crew.

Denise
Greg

Ya, it sounds like you might need a relevel, In our house the only time tennis balls roll around is when one of the dogs is chasing it. you don't have an invisible dog do you?? Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Denise

LOL, No, but two real ones 16 and 13.....1 Moluccan Cockatoo, 2 Umbrella Cockatoos, 2 Blue Fronted Amazons, 2 Cockatiels and 2 Budgies. Which are VERY BIG ISSUE about VOCs and primer/paint/no perfumes/candles/Febreez is a KILLER! Teflon in cookware and hair dryers are fatal....

People don't like being told they aren't welcome in my home because I can smell their scented deodorant, perfume, hairspray, tobacco.....

So, everything done in this house and outside (pesticide) is done with the birds in mind. Their protection comes first. The bird room is the room I want to get done with first.... :roll: