FHA structural guidelines....

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

min7854

Hi all. It's been awhile since I've logged on...Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving.....I've got two questions. First one is that I've started the refinance process and got a call today from my mortage guy....He says that I need to have a structural engineer come out to determine the structural integrity of my foundation....WHAT!!! So; I've been searching the internet for some answers....not too much out there...Does anyone, or can anyone give me, in laymens terms, exactly what it is that they will be looking for... My double wide was set up 15 years ago...and is on concrete block piers with metal straps and anchors into the ground...I have plastic on the ground under the home. I have wood frame with siding to the ground for skirting....also vented every 10 feet along the bottom.... Thanks for any help.. I'll post my next question under new topic...thanks again..
JD
Site Admin

Here in California (as well as all states I'm sure) a mobile/manufactured home needs to be set on a permanent foundation system to be eligible for home improvement or property loans. HUD requires the following.

Footing depths for support piers are required to be below design frost depth for the zone in which the home is installed, (reference MSBC 1300.5500).

Here in my area, there is no frost line requirements, probably due to the lack of frost problems. Permanent foundation systems in my area can be as simple as steel seismic type pier systems specially designed concrete pads (not blocks), added to the standard setup piers and tie down systems.

So you will really need to see what is required in your area. The engineer will be able to give you that information.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
min7854

HI. Thanks for your input.....So, I guess unless I actually know an engineer, I won't know what guidelines are for my area.....therefore I have no opportuntity to make my decision to go forward with my refinance and spend the money for the engineer . If I get the inspection done and I don't make the grade...then I can't get the financing and loose the money paid for the inspection.....If I only knew what to expect, then I'd know whether to just stop the whole thing right now and consider an equity loan or just do nothing . I just hate to spend somewhere between 500-700 for the engineer and loose that plus the loan application fee if it's not right... Has anyone else on here had this problem? I'd love some guideance.
JD
Site Admin

Well, I don't know about "No opportunity". Here in Fresno, people will find myself and other contractors in the Yellow Pages listed under mobile home repair and ask them for an estimate for a permanent foundation system. These systems will cost considerably more than hiring an engineer for a report, but they come with a pre-approved engineer's report. Your local mobile home contractors will know what is required. All of the contractors in the mobile home repair section of my Yellow Pages have installed these systems and know how to report them to your local records office. Procedures and offices may be different from one state or county to another, but all the key components are there. Your bank will also tell you what is required. Basically a permit, the foundation system installed, an inspection and then filing the installation with the recorder's office.

It would be hard for anyone to tell you exactly what your requirements are, as we do not know where your home is located. Usually you can just look it up with search words like Fresno County Mobile Home Permanent Foundation.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
min7854

Thanks for your input JD. My problem is that getting the refi is to make some improvements; such as the slab/foundation,covered deck,carport and metal roofing. I am in a poor situation here and this could be a deal breaker as far as the refi goes.....I'm going to speak with my loan consultant on Friday to see what can be worked out.... Thanks again for your help...I do understand that the engineer has to actually be familiar with the area ie. soil conditions etc. in order to determine whether my set-up is suffient for the FHA guidelines to approve and or certify. By the way, I'm in central Florida....Lots of sandy soil. I was just hoping that if I actually knew what was acceptable then I would say my foundation seems to be good...hope for the best and pay the money for the engineer....In my current situation...I have no idea what is acceptable....If someone would say for example...;you have to have concrete footers 18 inches into the ground and your piers need to be placed a certain distance...tie downs need to be a certain way etc....I could tell if none of that was what I have then I would just say...no, I already know that I wouldn't be approved...then I would be saving myself the cost of the engineer....and just go for the equity loan if the criteria were more in my favor.....
JD
Site Admin

You could try calling a local mobile home repair contractor and ask for an estimate for a permanent foundation system. Estimates should be free and if you can't afford to buy one then I highly doubt you can get the loan. Good luck with the loan.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

Johnny

could you contact your county for the building code and OSHA safety regulations for your area for mobile home foundations?
johnny
If I can't fix it -- I ask questions
min7854

Hi.....Thanks for your input.....great suggestion.....However I think I'm moving in the right direction for now....I took JD's advise and contacted a mobilehome setup/repair company; they came out and checked out my piers/tie downs and told me that my tie downs won't make the guidelines for FHA....So, it looks like I've saved myself at least 350.00 by having it checked out by the set-up company(they also work with an engineer that inspects); so I'm confident that they were telling me facts.....I go to speak with my mortgage consultant tomorrow and I think the refi is off due to the cost of the tiedown fix.....Maybe I can get an equity loan...get the tiedowns fixed and a few other minor things, then if the interest rates stay low enough, maybe next year I can do a refi and get more $$$$ to finish off my bigger projects. I was hoping to get this all done and close before the end of the year, but....we can't always get what we want...Thanks again for the help....