Off topic and yet not...

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Jaie

It's trailer related at any rate. I currently own a 77 single wide, maker unknown. I have a chance to get a newer (maybe mid 80's I've got to get more info on the trailer) I've posted to my blog up here about it (so handy a blog just for my trailer by the way. If I haven't already..THANK YOU for creating that!!) It has a kick out which I have no idea how to deal with while moving, and in general just am unsure about how to deal with this in general beyond coming up with 3 grand. If some of the more nosy could pop over and take a look, I'd be happy to hear some thoughts. I tried doing an external link to the entry, but they just don't seem to want to work that way. So I'm guessing it's only viewable to members.

Thanks to anyone who gives some input to my rather wordy effort at making this decision.
Yanita

Hi Jaie,

Was wondering where you went?

I just checked out the photos in your blog...did you check the settings in your blog for all to see? You can also post the pics to the individual forums as well as your personal album.

Ok, back to the home, 2500. is not a bad price, but did you thoroughly check this home out?

What type of maintenance has been done on a home that has not been occupied for 10 years?

Has heat and air been furnished to the home continuously.

What about the big ticket items, heat, air, stove, fridge, does all this work?

Now, I am not an expert on tip outs, but one of those pics it sure looks like there has been a roof added to the tip out. If so, it might no longer be able to slide back into place. Hopefully others will give their opinions as well.

As for renting out your current home in the event you get this other one...check out the rules/laws of being a landlord. The home will definitely have to be up to health and safety codes and some insurance regulations may be needed as it will become public housing. Being a landlord is not all it is thought to be, it certainly is not getting a check every month that is payable at the bank!

Take care,

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
JD
Site Admin

Hi Jaie,

This could be a good deal if as Yanita said, there are no big ticket surprises. It will also cost to make the move. You may have a better deal, but in my area it would cost as much or more than you are paying for the mh to move it, set it up and hook up utilities. Then at minimum, you will need some steps. I think I see the old steps crumpled up in the picture. Then there is the slider's roof. It is a reroof. Looks like comp shingle to me. The entire roof would have to be removed to get the slider back into the main coach. If you can save and reuse the materials, I definitely would go back with something other than comp shingles. Comp shingles need a minimum or 2.5 / 12 pitch. 2.5 inches of rise for every 12" of extension. This is what is written on the package of shingles, but maybe a roof would be ok with a little less. Your sliders roof looks more like a 1.5 / 12 to me. It sure looks like it would leak.

Spending all this money on the home may still be a good deal. But if finances are tough, you wouldn't want to get all stretched out to get this home, banking that nothing unforseen will happen.

Just my thoughts,

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Yanita

...banking that nothing unforeseen will happen... :?

LOL, even with new homes something unforeseen will happen.

We are not saying this not a good opportunity, but it already seems like alot of expense is going to happen with just the roof on the tip out, and then as JD mentioned, moving and setting up comes with its own cost and unforeseen events.

Let us know what you decide. As you know we will be hear waiting to help if needed.

Have you gotten any responses from anyone who may be local in your area to look at this for you?

Have a great day!

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Jaie

Everyone pointed out everything I already realized (including that damn roof ARGH) yes, my LL is perfectly fine with me renting, tearing down, or selling my current trailer. He also owns and will be moving the other trailer whether I am the purchaser or not. I think I need to find a local who would be nice enough to inspect the trailer. I climbed under it today, and the underbelly is like my current one, in excellent condition. There is more cosmetic so far. It was maintained (water and furnace run, vented etc) while it sat empty. The time empty DOES concern me. 10 years as well all know is NOT a good amount of time for a trailer to sit empty. I have been reassured several times by the former owner it was maintained (and it looks it I have additional pics at jaie.livejournal.com if anyone cares to look)
Jaie

Oh, and additional info, it will cost me $300 to move if the kickout is pushed in. Probably add $200 if it is not.
Maureen

Hi Jaie,

Like JD mentioned, out here tip outs are frequent on older homes. To move these properly, adds to the cost of moving the home and the set up. I'm thinking that out West here, it would be at least 3 grand for a complete job, total move and set up.

I've never seen a mobile home moved with an attached structure. The tip out and the roof. I'd be a bit leery of that idea, but I'm no expert!

I may be over stepping my bounds here, but if the tip out can't be pushed back in the home for transport, then both the frame of the home and the 'new' roof would be subject to major damage.

Our homes are meant to be transported on the original frame. Add a roof, and any other modifications creates much more work.

Adding $200.00 for the tip out not pushed in, sounds like bad deal to me... so sorry! I'd think that it may cause at least 2 grand in repairs.

Just my opinion!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'