underbelly insulation

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

MarkP

Hi all
I live in Ontario,Canada and find it cold in my mobile.1994 manison. Can you use blow in insulation as the original insulation seems to have dropped down onto membrane?
Greg

Hi & welcome. the underbelly is designed to hang down slightly. The reason is this, The plumbing in your home is run under the floor so are the heat ducts. You want the warm air to radiate from the ducts and heat the area that the plumbing runs. If you fill the area with blown in insulation you may create two problems. First you could block the heat from getting to the plumbing and causing freezing problems. Second, Should you need to open up the belly to make any repairs, plan on a BIG mess.

A better plan may be to insulate the skirting and make sure that the skirting is sealed up tight. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
MarkP

Thanks for the quick response. This is a great site! I've spent the last couple of hours reading all the great info.
Thanks Again.
Greg

You may want to think about Mark's book in the books & parts section of the site. LOTS of good information. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

I recently made a post titled "Winterizing your MH". You may find some info in that posting to help keep your home warmer.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg S

In my park, also in Ontario, it is becoming popular to have spray foam insulation applied to the skirting. Everyone that has had it done experiences warmer floors and heating cost savings to some degree. Spray foam companies charge $800 to $1200 to spray the entire skirting on a single wide. My only concern would be the frost heave effecting the insulation over time as it will restrict the movement of the individual panels of the skirt.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
Yanita

Hi,

That would be a very valid concern. I think the better option and much cheaper would be to do as Mark has posted in an article in our Articles link. Others have done the same, but modified to fit their personal homes.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!