Setting MH in new park in Kansas

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

clayman612

Hi all I have read alot of posts and am still some what confused I have a 14x70 Buddy and have moved it to the park which will be its new home.I have read all sorts of sites about setting up and am still really confused about what is the best pier setup for this size mobile.I am setting it up 24" off the ground and want to know if I have to use a double block or single block pier configuration.The trailer will be setting on the concrete runners that are provided in the park so do I need a footing the 4x16 inch that hud says is needed or is that just for setting it on the ground Also what is the standard pier spacing for a trailer this size ? Please help I need to get the piers set this week and am running out of time I live in North East Kansas Thanks
Greg

Hi & welcome. I would recommend getting a copy of Mark's (site owner) book, It's in the "books & parts" section of the site or get a copy of the HUD guidelines. Personally I would opt to overbuild the piers and know that you will not have any problems down the road. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
clayman612

I have hud guidelines and that is about as confusing as it gets I was leaning towards the double pier system but am mainly worried about the spacing of the piers. Any suggestions
Yanita

Hi,

Your local codes office will have the info you need, as well as the set up crew should have the info. Also if this home is fiananced sometimes the fiance company and insurance companies have rules as well...

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
clayman612

Well ya see where I live there is no codes it seems when it comes to mobile homes so that is why I was asking here I just wanted to get a general idea of how the pier spacing should be I have decided to go with the double block pier setup and I figured about 6ft spacing between piers and it also has 1 front door and 2 back doors one at each end of the back side of the trailer which I planned on using 2 piers on each side of the doors Does that sound about right.Also I am the setup crew and I am not financing I only paid 300.00 for the trailer.
Greg

6-8 ' should be fine, I would use the double block system. Use a water level when you set it up. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

I have not performed set-ups for many many years, and I am not sure if the following requirement is HUD or local code. But here in the Central Valley, California, piers need to be set every 5 feet on older homes where a manufacturer's diagram is not available. On homes that do have manufacturer's diagrams, the spacing is still basically 5'. In both cases, they will allow a little difference when dealing with axles, but you can't eliminate a pier. Their should also be a pier under the hinge side of entry doors and king studs of picture windows and sliding glass doors.

Again, I don't know if the requirements in your area is different and I have seen homes in my area with piers set at 8' centers that seemed to work fine. I don't know if they were set without permits in the old days or if they just didn't care in the old days. These are usually 1960's set-ups.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.