water heater problems

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Kajun

hi..i'm in the process of remodeling my trailer and when i pulled out the water heater to replace the floor...the next day it didnt work...so i replaced the heating element,thermostat and popoff valve...my friend told me to periodically check the voltage going to the element to see if its kicking off when it reaches temp....i have been doing this for a few days and there is always 120volts going to the element...how do i know that the thermostat is working ? is it supposed to kick off? is there a troubleshooting technique for this?...i have tried putting the temp on 130 then after a couple hours turn it down to 120 with the volt meter on it....still it doesnt kick off :(

i've been lurking on these forums for awhile before i started my remodel...definetly enjoyed seeing all the pics of everyones remodels.....i am taking alot of pics and video of mine and will be posting them up for ya'll to see :) originally my budget was $3k...but i think its at $5k with prob another $1k to go... :( i don't even want to add it up yet for fear i will pull the plug on it lol

here's a semi-finished pic of the master bedroom and bath that i totally gutted to joist/studs....$$$$$ ouch!!!

Harry

Hi

I replace the whole WH when they get around 10 years old.

Here's some info I googled:

http://www.bobvila.com/HowTo_Library/Fi ... F2171.html

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Greg

Hi & welcome. I can say to you, been there, done that.
You have reached (and passed) the point of no return. you may as well finish it and enjoy it. It sounds like you are doing the job right, so it may very well be better than new when you finish. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Johanna Bruns

Please note:
I'm not recommending that you do anything that requires disconnecting wires, as the forum doesn't recommend doing your own electrical repairs for safety and liability reasons, which I respect.

Check your breaker. It is common for one side to become weak and trip easier than it should, causing the WH to get only half as much voltage as it should. If the breaker handle looks uneven, checking should show that one half is on and the other is tripped. In that case, the breaker needs to be replaced.

HTH
Please be safe!
Johanna
I have the space and inclination to see what my imagination can help me build...
Johanna Bruns

:oops: I've already gone too far!

Please refer to JD's post regarding electrical and gas repairs...

JB
I have the space and inclination to see what my imagination can help me build...
Yanita

Hi Johanna,

Your post has been edited...as you said, you went to far....

Thanks

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Kajun

i'm not asking for electrical help...the wiring has already been done...i am asking if the water heater should be kicking off occassionally or if is this normal...
bmerri

Wow!!!! Your remodeling job looks great!!!. Wished mine looked like that. Were having wh problems too. Ours are from the water being to hard. At least once a year we have to replace the heating element. It's not fun when you can't get it to drain because there's so much lime in the bottom. Were thinking of installing a gas one. Problem is the outside vent. Don't want to cut a whole in the roof. Again, your pic. look awesome.
Johnny

you could check water temp. to see if it gets to temp of the thermostat and see if it is working as it should.
If I can't fix it -- I ask questions