replacing the plumbing throughout

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

maryella1

I am moving my entire bathroom to an area that has no plumbing. my idea is to use PEX and replace all plumbing. my question is what would be the wisest method? my thought is to put all the lines inside, not disturb the sub floor or the underbelly. i can cover the lines so that they don't show. also, i will have to move the hot water heater, a small one, to the other side of the Mobile Home. that will require running the main intake either under the floor or over the ceiling. any ideas or suggestions? i live in VT and will be doing this work now, so time is of the essence. if it is unwise to proceed, i will certainly wait till spring. thanks mary
Greg

Hi & welcome. In colder areas of the country many have re plumbed their homes and boxed in the pipes along the bottom of the walls. This is particularly the case in older pre HUD homes that were very pron to freezeups.

In your case I am not sure if I would go that route with out seeing the condition of your floors. You may find that the sub floor, usually Partical board is in rough shape and should be replaced anyway. You also need to remember that PEX is both easy to work with and very forgiving to freezeups.

If you do need to do the floors you can work from the top side and not disturb the underbelly, But since you will also need to add drain plumbing I think you may have to open the belly up. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
maryella1

thanks. the sub-flooring is in good shape, although i don't mind opening it up. i will be putting down hardwood floors in future. the drain might be the problem. but we could open up the sub flooring in that area only. and keep the pipes inside. i will be moving the drain for the shower. the toilet will be on the opposite side of the wall it is currently on, so not a big problem.
Harry

Hi maryella 1

Here's an article that may be helpful. http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/article ... ines1.html

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?