Solved, I think:PColeman eb20b tstat clicks, no fan no heat

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

knix

I can turn the fan on continuous from the t-stat and fan turns on and blows for as long as I want it to. I set the fan to auto, heat, turn up the thermostat to call for heat, it clicks, then nothing, no heat, no fan nothing.

Thermostat has 24 volt at the unit.
The furnace has 220 to the unit.

We replaced the sequencer in the winter of 2007,

what does this sound like?
Last edited by knix on Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
knix

more information,

the transformer has 220 on one side and 24v on the other,

When I turn on the bottom breaker, inside of the unit, no hum, when I turn on the top breaker, a slight hum.
knix

found my answer. After doing some research on this forums. I have learned 2 things.

Even though I replaced my sequencer in 2007 it could be that again. One man wrote in saying he goes thru a sequencer a year on his coleman.

I also learned that if I dig enough on here I can find where Robert gave the advice that I needed to figure out if my sequencer was working properly. The answer was NO its not. I followed the instructions found below to test it and found that I had 240 when there was a call for heat as well as when there wasnt a call for heat. But, i have to say the first one i tested kind of scared me, made me jump, then I seen all the wires around there and decided I had to be braver, because I didnt want to hit my probe on any other wires down there.

Thanks Robert. Your advise on the web has solved my problem,

yes, and I will be ordering a sequencer.
RE: Coleman 3400A811

Postby Robert » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:15 pm
Hi Duane,

See my reply to other thread with similar problem. Get to what box to shut off electricity ?

Remove furnace door, then remove controls panel cover(s).

Test breaker to see if output voltage is there when your t-stat is calling for heat and furnace is not coming on.

120vac to ground from each leg. 240vac across breaker.

Yes, breaker can fail and not overheat.

Sequencer can be tested by turning power off, marking where wires go and then remove wires .

Remove sequencer and then remove both wires from secondary-load 24vac side of transformer.

Run two seperate wires to transformer and connect and then connect them, one to each side of bottom sequencer terminals.

Set meter to ohms and test across M1 and M2 and also M3 and M4.

Should have no reading or no beep as they should be open.

Now, turn power on, should now read 24vac across the two bottom terminals and should over next minute or so hear two clicks as M1/M2 and M3/M4 close.

Now, test the M's again and should get reading or beep from M1/M2 and M3/M4.

If not, sequencer is bad.

You can also do it with power on and sequencer in and wired if comfortable doing it.

24vac across bottom with call from t-stat.

M1 to M2 = 240vac without call and 0vac with call

M2 to M3 = same as above

IF sequencer works, trace wire from element back to sequencer and test that terminal connection to ground for 120vac.

At each side end of elements is a terminal, that is the coil ends.

With a meter lead on each, if sequencer and breaker are working, you'll have 240vac when on.

If not, test each end to ground for 120vac.

Left side comes from sequencer and right side from breaker.

IF either are bad, you won't have 120vac to ground.

This goes for each element coil.

Each element drawer plate has either one or two coils.

Hope this helps and does not confuse.

Sorry I was unavailable earlier.

We have all available parts if needed.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?

Robert

* E-mail Robert
Robert

Hi,

Glad you found your answer. There are a lot of questions between the 4 hvac forums, but if persistent, most problems and answers are there somewhere.

This is the busy season for forum questions and personal emails, averaging about 30 per day, so I get behind sometimes and am not available.

You're very welcome, happy to help.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?