Underbelly Work and then some

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Laney

I live in a 1980 Redman with additions and over the years due to leaks and repairs the underbelly is a wreck! I do not think I can tackle it before winter comes. It will probably be my next summer project. It probably should be replumbed and the ducts sealed, etc. In the meantime, I believe insulating and sealing the skirting may possibly help my fuel bills. I have been reading about encapsulated fiberglass. Where do you get this? Some of my skirting is 30" tall. My second question. Is there a way to neutralize the spiders underneath before I start crawling under there? This didn't use to bother me, but now the area seems to have the brown recluse spider. Any suggestions for these problems?
Greg

Hi & welcome. Personally I think that rigid foam insulation may work as well and go faster if you are just doing the skirting, But I would still get some fiberglass up under the floor even if you just hang it with a plastic tarp for the winter. The last thin you want is to have freeze ups in a water system you just replaced.

As for the spiders, you could contact an exterminator or do a google on the best way to deal with them. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

If you have brown recluse under your home then you better check for infestation in your home. Hopefully you have mis identified the spider.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
JD
Site Admin

I bought some of the plastic wrapped insulation at Lowe's about a month ago. Very nice stuff to work with. The stuff I used was white and not yellow. It seemed more dense than the yellow insulation and did not have nearly as much fiber dust as the yellow. I think it is made a little different than the yellow, but it may be that since it is encapsulated it does not get loosed as much as standard batts. There are two versions of this plastic wrapped insulation. One where the plastic wrap is a vapor barrier and one that is not a vapor barrier. The non-barrier stuff is what I used which is great since I was putting up inside the underbelly. A lot less itch.

Calling pest control like Greg said is a good way to get rid of spiders. Being fully covered in clothing may be your best bet. The recluse as well as most US spiders do not have long enough fangs to bite through clothes. The home stores sell a paper like overalls with a hood that can be a good idea. The ones sold at Lowe's were a Tyvek brand. But I have used another brand from an OSH store that worked as well. I have used them for relevels and belly repairs. The last pair survived two long grueling days crawling under the home. I did use knee pads though. The recluse as well as most spiders, usually only bite against bare skin and only because of an accidental rubbing up to them. They do not attack humans or come at you because you are in their territory. So take a good light and stay covered up.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
DavidW

When I started renovations, before removing the old skirting, I fumigated the underside thoroughly, since this M.H. is at the edge of a woods, in some trees.

I had some old PVC pipe, 1/2" and 3/4" from another project. I selected (4) 6-8 foot long pipes and taped bug bomb cans to the end of each pipe.

Sections of the old skirting were removed to access under the M.H. at equally spaced out places.

Each can was activated and slid under the M.H. using the old pipes and ensuring the cans were pointed straight up or at a slight angle.

Half of the M.H. was done at a time. (8) cans of bomb were used total. As soon as the first set of cans were empty, I taped on some fresh ones, leaving the empties on the pipe to make it easier to keep the cans pointing up.

Then the second set was set off.

It is a good idea not to have the furnace or a/c (or anything that might cause a spark) running during fumigating or a few hours afterwards due to possible fire/explosion hazard.

Then I went off for the rest of the day and did not go into or under the M.H..

I had no trouble with bugs while doing the belly repairs. Neither did the workmen who have been here.

The best quote for fumigating by a pest control company was $75. I did my own for about $20.
cskal

DavidW:

I couldn't see the number of can bombs that you used. If you don't mind, what brand did you use, how many, and what size is your home's footprint? I have a 24x48 and am getting everything together to fully replace the underbelly. Your idea sounds like a good one for my situation to prep for a few grueling days of slithering around on my back.

Regards,
Chris
DavidW

cskal,

Pleased be advised, I'm only reporting on what I did and not making recommendations on how to do it.

I used Hot Shot Fogger (shake well before using) in the green 6 oz. can.

The can says "Order Neutralizer" on the side.

These came from Lowes.

Follow the directions for square footage. I have no idea why (actually do, but......) the quantity didn't post. (8).

This was used on a 14 x 70 single.

For your double you may want to use 10 ft pieces of PVC, or old wood slats, or whatever will move the can under the home.

Make sure the can stays pointing up as it's moved into position.
DavidW

Here's someone who didn't follow directions or something:\

Bug Bomb Explosion Rocks Apartment Complex [CA]
Source: [None]
URL Source: http://cbs13.com/breakingnews/bug.bomb. ... 54345.html
Published: Jun 22, 2009
Author: staff

Three Citrus Heights families are without a home after an explosion rocked their apartment complex apparently because one of the tenants was tired of the cockroaches.

The Sacramento Metro Fire Department says nearly a million dollars in damage was caused when Tone Pene set off a number of bug bombs in his apartment. He says he used 8 to 10 foggers, but Sacramento Metro Fire says they found evidence of up to 18 bug bombs.

The foggers somehow found an ignition source, possibly the refrigerator, causing an explosion that left the building with serious structural damage. Sac Metro Fire says the force of the blast caused the wall to become disconnected from the roof and blew out the windows sending glass flying.

Fortunately, no one was hurt. Pene says he was surprised by the blast because he has used the bug bombs before.

"I don't know what happened. I do this every month and I don't know what happened today," Pene told CBS13.

Tony's family along with two others are being assisted by the American Red Cross.
Sacramento Metro Fire is reminding people to read the instructions when working with flammable products.

Despite, the explosion and bug bombs, live cockroaches can still be seen in the apartment.

DavidW: I suspect the expolsion was set off by a gas stove or such. But it doesn't say.
cskal

DavidW:

I was just wondering what you used because I had a similar idea in the back of my mind. I have used inside the same foggers that you used underneath, but I always turn off the furnace and such before setting them off and leaving (with cats in tow) for the few hours that is recommended. Thanks for the feed back.

BTW, that article just goes to show once again (if there were any doubts) that the roaches can survive anything. :lol:

Regards,
Chris
Robert

I know all about brown recluse spiders, don't I Yanita ? Bug bombs will not get rid of them.

Most pest control companies will not get rid of them either.

I caught 323 in glue traps inside our new home in 4 months before I stopped counting.

We bought it in April '07 and moved in 3 weeks ago. No brown recluses seen inside or outside in over a year.

Estimated 600 to 800 caught or killed in the 2 + years of dealing with them.

Fired Orkin and began DIY spider eradication in Feb. '08.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
DavidW

Robert,

You had a lot of spiders. Sounds like a colony of them. Or is that normal population?

Did you make these glue traps? I'd like to try that.

On another forum, there's a fellow from Tenn. whose hilltop property is infested with rattle snakes. I wouldn't want to come eyeball-to-eyeball with one of those while making a belly repair.
Robert

Hi David,

It was a total infestation. They are bad here in Tennessee. Also deal with a lot of copperheads here.

Got the glue traps from Orkin, the only thing worthwhile from them.

I'll get you a link to where you can get them and a chemical powder to mix with water called Demon WP.

Spray yard, shrubs, outside of home everywhere. Will leave a white residue, but not really bad.

The dust is good at the link also for the attic cavity and under home.

Then put the open traps along walls everywhere they can't be seen and check periodically to know where you stand.

http://www.diypesticides.com/spiders.htm

http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/spiders.htm

Thanks,
Robert
Last edited by Robert on Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
danjo

I've heard that you shouldn't insulate and seal
up tightly around the skirting. I was told it
should be able to breathe to keep moisture
from underneath.
Yanita

Hi,

You do need to seal up the underbelly. The skirting should have no holes and should have a vents. IF your home has ground underneath that is constantly damp then you should install a moisture barrier. This is nothing more than plastic (6 mil) laid on the ground under the home. All seams should overlap by at least 6 inches and should be secure at least 6 inches up on all piers. Of course completely covering the ground from side to side and end to end under there.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Robert

Hi David,

I added two links above.

My recommended approach is :

Talstar Granules in yard

Demon WP or Suspend SC around home

Talstar or Suspend SC spray inside home

Drione Dust in attic, crawl space and in home cracks and crevices and outlets

Invader HPX Aerosol for whenever a spider is seen for immediate kill.

The links cover all pest control and the above works for other things as well as spiders, but is the treatment for spiders.

Specifically brown recluse spiders.

Thanks,
Robert