Critters

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

droman

Is it possible for critters to get into the home through floor vents? It sounds like critters in the vents which is driving me batty. My husband says sound travels (which I know) and they are probably under or near the vents.

Diana from Ct.
Harry

Hi

Yep.....Critters got into my ducts.

My ducts also make a lot of noise when the air conditioning and or heater comes on.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Greg

Hi & welcome. Determined critters can get about anywhere. The two best defenses are a tight & sealed skirting and underbelly. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Peg

I'm so tired of all the mice in my 2005 home. Besides mending holes in the under belly, is there any other solution?
Is it feasible to some how fasten plywood or MDF, Masonite, etc to the bottom of the home? Something they won't chew through must be available. I have an exterminator four times a year. He was here in August. I trapped 5 mice in the week after his visit. They come into the cabinet on the marriage wall. I could keep them out of the cabinet, but then they'd stay in the walls driving me crazy.
I tried cats, but they can't get a mouse in the wall. And contrary to what I've read, dead mice in the wall stink!
Thanks for any suggestions anyone can offer.
Greg

Just a tight underbelly will not keep them out, the skirting if the first line of defense in keeping the critters out. there can be NO holes to allow them to get through. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
oldfart

Well now folks..ya'll just need the right cats! HAW!HAW!HAW! An I got lots'a cats! I'll ship 'em out to you overnight express! See, once ya get up to 10 cats outside and 4 inside...mice are NOT a problem. O.K.....I'll get serious now. I don't know any other way to keep critters out. They'll chew thru wood, drywall, plastic and even light metal if they want in. And as cool weather approaches it'll only get worse. Traps work..so does poison. But they have their drawbacks. I don't put any stock in them doo-dads that plug into the outlets and claim to make a noise that repels critters. An exterminater can help...sometimes and for a while. But I can honestly say I haven't seen a critter nor a dropping anywhere in or outside my home in the last 3 years! It costs me 18lbs. of cat food a week and my flower-beds are a toxic waste zone! :) BUT! No critters! Audie..the Oldfart..
Yanita

Hi,

All critters require something in their habitat. I suggest you check the runs that the mice are using, I guarantee they have discovered a free food source.

Check the backs of your cupboards. I have resorted to putting all boxed and bagged staples in tupperware. I removed the pantry door and just hung drapes for the time being...this allows the cats entry to the pantry.

Another food source was the cats food! Yup, they love it. It is now in a sealed container.

As Audi said, traps and baits have there good qualities but also have the drawbacks.

Preventative maintenance goes along ways. I have noticed since I have done the above mentioned things I have less mice...in fact the cats have not been playing with one for over a month now. The true test will be in a few weeks when the soybeans are harvested in the fields behind me!

Yanita

I am going to move this thread to the off topic forums as it is not repair related. Please follow there.
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Robert

See my reply and links in the repair forum I believe about spiders and such in the Underbelly and then some thread.

Those methods and other pesticides will also work against mice.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?