Total Bathroom Reno

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

kokie

We are just about to embark on a total bathroom reno. It all started with the hot water tank leaking, and now the floor has been water damaged, so we thought may as well take everything out and make it brand new again. We will be replacing the whole floor with plywood, new hot water tank, new tub and surround, and new toilet.
I was hoping that anyone who has done a major job like this, will give us a few of the tips and tricks that they learned doing their own reno of their bathroom. We are fortunate to have a regulation size tub, 60" so do not have to worry about smaller size. And have the room to manouver the surround into position.
Thanks again for any help. :shock:
Greg S

You may find floor joists needing replacement. Consider sistering new joists to old for better support while you have the floor open.
Greg

Hi & welcome. The standard "measure twice, cut once" applies here. I always use screws over nails, they stay tight and do not disturb other things with the pounding. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
cskal

I can definitely sympathize; my bathroom renovation started the same way. Old WH burst and ruined the floor. Replace the entire floor section for the bathroom and WH closet. Do your best to get as much of the rotted flooring out from under the walls. As has been suggested use 3/4 tongue and groove plywood for the floor. Construction adhesive on top of the joists followed by SS screws to secure the plywood subfloor to the joists. Now is also the time to replace the heat tape on your incoming water main; much easier to change when you can stand or crouch on the ground than work on your back. If there are any plumbing changes or upgrades necessary, this is the time to do them.

I found that cutting flooring close to the wall (almost flush to the studs) works well with a Zip tool with the 90* cutting wheel attachment. It allows you to get closer to the walls than a circular saw.

I'll go one further than Greg and say "measure 4 times, cut once". Create a sketch with as much relevant information as possible as you go along and refer/check it often so that you catch any questions early before something is changed permanently.

Have fun and remember that you will eventually be finished.

Chris.
JD
Site Admin

I cut it 3 times and it's still too short!!
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.