Combination pex crimpers // Pex washing machine valves

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Norm

I mistakenly thought the wonderful grey flex pipe I had in my "new" (used) home was Pex only to learn that no, my usual luck is still holding firm and its Polyb. (Which is why I am now as nervous as a rooster in an axe factory whenever I'm away from home..)

What I'm wondering is, the combination pex crimper sold on the site here.. - Is it good for a large number of uses or is it somewhat limited on the number of crimps it'll be good for? (The one you use vice grips to actually do the crimping with..)

Also, the gauge it comes with, is that a solid go/no-go gauge?

Lastly, are pex washing machine valves commonly available?

I don't see any on the site and other websites have them but looks like they want bulk orders from resellers.. The usual big-box retailers (HD/Lowes, etc) don't seem to have hardly anything on their websites for pex / polyb equipment..

Thanks again for the great site and quick help guys! :D
DavidW

I was just in Lowes and noticed a whole section with pex stuff.

Slightly off topic q:

Does the polyb use a similar crimping system as pex?
JD
Site Admin

I don't have a pocket crimp tool, but it looks like it should hold up forever for personal use. I use the oiteker stainless clamps, so there is no pocket crimper. Maybe someone who has put the tool to test will comment.

On the hose bibs, shut off valves and stem outs, I would just go with a 1/2" IPS fitting (or whatever size you have) and go with standard plumbing parts. It will be cheaper that way and more serviceable.

Both Lowe's and Home Depot carry the standard assortment of PEx parts and rings. I get my supplies from a store called Fergusen's, which is a chain but probably not everywhere. Point is, plumbing supply stores will carry PEx too.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

Norm, I have the pocket crimper and it does work. Make no mistake it is not fast, but it does have the advantage of being able to put the vise grips (that you use to make the crimp) at a 90* angle for tight areas.
If you are just doing crimps around your home it should be fine, I would not recommend it for someone that does crimps all day.
Double check if you order it, I'm not sure if the gauge comes with it or if it is a seperate order. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Norm

Thanks again guys! :)