How to Re-Plumb New Tub?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

marriednamobile

Old tub (MH standard) has center back drain, no overflow, new tub (Menards fiberglass standard no bells and whistles) has drain where faucet is, I guess that would be left.
#1- What does re-plumb mean (seen in lots of posts)
#2- How to re-plumb from center back to left?

Please help :shock:
The flower that blooms in adversity is the rarest, and most beautiful of all.
Harry

Hi

1# Re-plumb - in this case would be removing the old pipe that does not match up with the new tub and then installing pipe that connects the new tub to the drain.

2# Usually...there is an access to the drain down under the MH. I would start with a trip down under with a bright light.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Greg

The job usually requires that you carefully open up the belly under the tub, next you will need to plan what you will need for new drain piping to get to the new drain location (usually a few feet of pipe, a coupler or two and possibly a few elbows).
After the pipe is installed you need to reseal the underbelly, Mark has the tape here or search older posts. JD has a method that seems to work well for him. Duct tape WILL NOT WORK!!! Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
marriednamobile

couldn't I build like a 6-8 inch platform where the new tub will go, with access to the pipes, so that I don't have re-route anything through the underbelly?
marriednamobile

this platform is a little over the top, but it has the general idea I was talking about...
Harry

Hi

couldn't I build like a 6-8 inch platform where the new tub will go, with access to the pipes, so that I don't have re-route anything through the underbelly?

I suppose it is possible....depends what you find when you remove the old tub.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
flcruising

Looks like alot more work to me.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Greg

Also remember to check the ceiling height, you really don't want to hit your head getting into the tub. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
marriednamobile

my ceilings are really high, so no worries about a bumped head.
is it possible to replumb a tub that sits flush with the floor (there's no supports or foam under the tub part *so it's deeper than normal tubs*)?
JD
Site Admin

You would usually cut a pretty big hole in the subfloor for connecting the drain and to be able to service it later. So yes, you can install the tub you mentioned. But you do need to check with the manufacturers installation instructions. Tubs like the one you mentioned is common in stick built homes and they usually require that the tub be set into a mud base. The mud base works like the thick piece of foam on mobile home tubs.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
marriednamobile

oooh, I had no idea about the mud base, maybe I'll go with a MH specific tub