Replacing tub with a shower

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

squirt13

I want to replace my tub shower combination with a walk in full size shower. The question I have is how hard is it to move the drain from the right side to the center. Lowe's have in stock shower surround combinations but only with the center drain. They want almost double the cost for a special order right sided drain.
I understand it may cost a little more to move the drain, but not $200-$300. I just need to know if it is possible.
JD
Site Admin

Working with the ABS plumbing is pretty easy. The pipe cuts easily and you just glue the pieces together. Use plenty of the ABS cement and get 100% coverage of the glued area. What can make the job difficult is if there is a floor joist right where you want the new drain to go. You really got to get under the home and see what you need to do. Usually you will want to eliminate the old drain line and install a new one in line with the drain you want to put in.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

As JD said, the key is planning. You will need to open up the underbelly to see what is where and plan from there. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
cskal

I had the same situation, replacing the 55" tub with a 48" shower. I had to move the shower drain to the center and sure enough there was a joist very close to the drain. I ended up cutting a slight indent into the side of the joist so that the vertical section of the drain pipe was flush against the joist. So far so good. Keep in mind that your horizontal sections of drain line should always have a slight downward slope towards the main trunk waste line to prevent water from standing in the drain piping.

Like JD said, working with the ABS is pretty straightforward. Since I ended up using PVC for the new drain and waste plumbing, I decided not to tempt fate and used the ABS to PVC transition cement (green color).

Chris
squirt13

Thanks for your help. I am fairly handy person, however my disability will not allow me to get under the house or do this job myself. So my question to all you experts, would I need to hire a plumber for the whole job or a combination of handy man and plumber. I want it done correct the first time so it will last years, but also spending the least required.

Lowe's has the combination shower pan and enclosure for under $450, however they do not install. Any ideas how to call?
Greg

I personally don't see the need for a plumber unless it is required by codes or permit requirements. A *GOOD* handyman should be able to handle the job. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."