Grill recipes for a beginner

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Mark
Site Admin

Hi,

Next week is the much anticipated Sturgis Bike Rally. This spring we bought an old camper and we're anxious to become newby campers. To save money, we hope to grill out for most of our meals. So now I'm on the search for some easy grill recipes.

We grill a lot at home, but nothing fancy. Generally we just slap some meat on the grill, cook til it's medium and enjoy. While at Sturgis we want to jazz-up our grilled foods. We don't like foods that are real spicy or hot.

Do you have any favorite recipes for grilling? If so, post them here. 6 ingredients or less would be preferred. I did find a recipe for shrimp kebabs that sure sound tasty. Also looking for beef and fish recipes.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
JD
Site Admin

Hey Mark,

I like to take too many thick butter slices, put them in the middle of the extra wide, heavy duty aluminum foil, place washed not peeled lemon slices over that and then lay in 4-5 sprigs of fresh dill. Salt and pepper filleted salmon to taste and lay it over the goodies. Then reverse the process over the top of the salmon. Lift up the edges of the aluminum foil and fold a half inch seam over and over until the wrap is tight. Do the same with the ends of the foil. Lay out another large piece of foil. Lay your salmon on that, seam side down, and repeat the seamed edge thing. Set that on medium heat ~450 for 15 minutes and flip over for about 10 minutes. Less is better, but you want the salmon fully cooked. Depends on size of the fillet. I get those farmed fillets at Costco. The wild caught salmon is OK too, but I find the freshness of the farmed to be better.

Another super simple and delicious way to do salmon is to salt and pepper to taste, and rub Pappy's Seasoning over the entire salmon. Saute that about 10 minutes a side (until done) in olive oil. Sounds too simple, but it is delicious and a bit off the beaten track. I will do this dish on my BBQ sometimes, but usually in the kitchen. works the same either way. I imagine you could cook it with a campfire or propane torch. Just add heat.

One question... this is an ongoing debate in our house. What is the point of whole wheat hot dog buns? they are hot dogs!

I hope Ol' fart chimes in here. That guy can cook! Enjoy the run. Get some vids to post, OK?

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Yanita

Hi Guys,

My recipe is similar to JD's although different.

hamburger
clean potatoes
couple of fresh clean carrots
onion, sliced
one pkg, Lipton onion soup mix
stick of butter

Take a piece of heavy duty foil, make burger patty, and spices of your choice and place on center of foil. Lay onion slices on top of burger. Quarter up the carrots and lay those around the burger.

Cream the stick of butter with the onion soup mix. Take clean potato and quarter it, but do not slice completely through. Fill with the onion soup mix plus a little more. Set the potato on top of everything else.

Wrap as JD descried in his recipe. About the same cooking time.

OH and to add to JD's dilemma about the whole wheat rolls with hot dogs...well the same hold true with hamburgers or better yet, a PB and J sandwich. If it taste good then eat it!

Oh and the video thing...ummm, good luck getting vids there that are PG rated, LOL!

Have a great time Mark and Lise.

Yanita
Last edited by Yanita on Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Jim from Canada

I make a dry rub from mostly brown sugar, add
Garlic powder
lemon pepper
a touch of cayanne
salt and pepper
liquid smoke

rub on pork back ribs, put on a charcoal bbq at low heat 230 -250 close the Q, put wet hickory chips on the coals.

keep adding charcoal and chips and smoke for about 4 hrs.

The sugar caramelizes and you get sweet, smoked back ribs that fall off the bone and tastes divine.

Some times I play with different spices like add Montreal smoked meat spice, or whatever you fancy. Takes time but worth it!

Jim
Harry

Hi

Do you have a cast iron griddle to lay on the grill?

Good for breakfast...eggs, bacon, pancakes and such.

They come in various shapes and sizes. Example:

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
oldfart

Well now Mark welcome to the wonderful world of flame cookin'!! YEEHAW! Mark when I was remodeling my kitchen I depended on the grill fer all my cooking fer months. Here's a few tips. Go buy one of them grilling baskets. They look like a 12x12inch square thing with handles. Walmart and most groc. stores sell them. Ya can put anything from fish to chops, chicken and veggies in this thing and grill it without stuff falling down thru the grate or sticking to it. Just spray it with a little Pam and load it up. Try some fresh zucchinni or yellow squash brushed with a little olive oil and some minced garlic sprinkled on. Also, do kabobs in the grill basket. Easier and simpler. Thaw out some shrimp and shell them...now heat up a stick of butter and use a garlic-press and crush a clove of garlic in the butter. Now marinate them shrimps in the garlic butter overnight inn'a ziplock bag. Next day pluck the shrimp out of the congealed garlic butter and plop them in the grill basket and high heat till they just turn pink and curl a bit. You'll never want fried shrimp again! Fish...any kind doesn't matter. Spray the basket with Pam and lay the fillets in flat and neat. Sprinkle a little seasoning on them and grill just till they flake. And ya'll stop wrappin' stuff up in foil and grillin' it!! May as well bake it in the oven. Harrumph! Chops, burgers, steaks etc....put 'em in the basket. They'll be easier to flip, don't stick and ya kin carry 'em right to the table. Well Mark that'll git ye started. I've a few hunnerd more if ya need. Audie..the hungry Oldfart!
JD
Site Admin

I am no grilling expert, that's for sure. But the tin foil/salmon thing has been a 100% success for me countless times. What makes it so good is holding in all those juices and butter. An oven would work as well, but I would still wrap the salmon. Easier to flip over and allows both sides to cook in the juices. Gotta try it Audie. mmmm I am going to Costco!

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Claudia

I'm not very good at grill cooking, I tend to overcook.

I have had luck with foil wrapped salmon though! You can put vegetables in the wrap too. Sliced summer squash or zuccini works well.
Harry

Hi Claudia

My bride sets off the smoke alarm pretty often.

I like chopped up potato, bacon, and cheeze wrapped up in foil.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?