Hello again, I have a question regarding my roof

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

ochetura03

What do you think if I apply ROOF-IT on top of my shingles? another one is WHITE ELASTOMERIC ROOF COATING.

Do you think is a good idea?

TIA
awo ni orunmila ochetura
Norm

Its been quite a few years since I've been in the roofing biz (about 20 yrs now) and both of those are new for me so I'm probably no help at all really, but looking over "WHITE ELASTOMERIC ROOF COATING" it doesn't say its for use on shingles..

What might help you even more tho is stepping back a bit and finding out what issues you're having with your existing roof?
flcruising

I'm not advocating sealing your roof with this (painting is another thing), as other's here will not either, but Lanco lists their elastomerics for asphalt shingles -

http://www.lancopaints.com/english/prod ... ating.html
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Jim from Canada

I would not recommend doing any kind of "quicky" fix up over shingles. If they need replacing, painting anything over them is only going to make it harder to remove them when it fails again.
MacAttack

I would not put anything on your shingles - trust me on that. I put snow roof on mine to seal areas around the marriage lines - instead, it trapped water. I am now in the process of tearing all those shingles out and replacing them.

The proper way to find and fix the leak is to start in the general suspect area and lift shingles one at a time. When you find a wet one, move upward until you find dry ones again.