antenna installation

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

brandonm_13

Okay. I just got an HDTV, and I was going to install an outdoor antenna. I'm about 75-80 miles away(as the crow flies) from Nashville, TN (VHF) and Huntsville, AL (UHF), so I have to have a bigger outdoor unit I think. I've got one froma relative, but I'm a little unsure about how to proceed. For one, I know that the farther I have it from the house, the longer the cable run, and the less power it will have. But I don't want it too close due to lightning strikes. Any suggestions???

I'm going to look at the antenna this afternoon. It is both VHF and UHF receivable. It's a solid pole, so I don't know exactly yet what I'll need to mount it and ground it.
Brandon
Greg

Do a search, there was a L O N G thread dealing with digital TV a few months back. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Greg S

Providing the antenna is properly grounded there is no greater danger from lightning strikes unless you plan on placing it more than 2 or 300 ft away from the home.
When lightning strikes it sometimes does make lateral strikes but these are capable of traveling many hundreds of feet which is why you must place it a very far distance from the home to be of any benefit.
As long as it is well grounded that is the best protection you can get.