carpet squares

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Brenda OH reregister

our local habitat for humanity surplus store has 18 inch carpet squares for sale, $1 each, which make it about 44 cents a square foot.

any and all installation hints would be appreciated. I think you glue them directly to the subfloor, but with what adhesive?

this is a 1973 mobile home that I am debating fixing up the inside a little more before marketing it. a lot will depend on whether this flooring is a good low cost choice. A lower price might get me a buyer quicker, in which case, I may try cleaning the existing carpet.
any hints there also?

Brenda (OH)
peachlizzard

I am not sure if this will help you or not. My mother put those in herself. She used them in her basement and they look wonderful if done correctly. She did glue them with a carpet glue of some sort. She put them directly on the concrete floor. No padding. If it were me, I would do it. If you can get it to look alot better for that little, go for it. And good luck!
Rundell

They do sell specific glue for carpet squares. Lowes does not carry it, not sure if you can find it anywhere else. Its a type of glue that remains tacky so you can remove the tile if you need to replace one. The glue is very expensive from what I have seen from on-line sources. You could also use regular carpet glue however you wont be able to remove the square later if you need to.

The cheapest way is to use double sided duck tape. You can get it at walmart. I used a little more than a roll for my office. I did this several months ago, also whent down the hallway with it. I just put the tape on the corners. Worked very well. Heres some pictures:
[albumimg]1447[/albumimg]
[albumimg]1448[/albumimg]
[albumimg]1449[/albumimg]
Demolition

When the weather gets hot or cold... the carpet squares will shrink or expand. This causes a TRIP HAZARD.
If you want carpet, Get good medium quality padding and an in-expensive carpet. Good Pad will make a cheap rug last longer.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town