Replacing waterline next week, need some advice

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

jasonksizemore

OK, it's been a long time since I've had to post anything. But I've got a new project lined up and need some help.

I plan on replacing all my PB waterlines next week while wife is gone with little ones, and older ones are gone to camp. First I need to know what material should I use. I wanted to use just regular PVC pipe. Then I saw a post where someone said if you don't use PEX then at least use CPVC. Money is somewhat of an issue that's why I wanted to go PVC. However, if I used PEX, is the crimping at every joint gonna be quicker and less time consuming than gluing the PVC?

I hope and pray I've got everything else figured out for the most part. I thought about replacing the sink/vanity in the master bath while doing this since water would be off. The one we have now is a his/her sink with no counter space left for anything. Have to see how everything else goes by the time I make it to that end of the house.

Any advice anyone has for me on the project would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Jason
He that hath the Son hath life, he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. 1John 5:12
JD
Site Admin

PVC pipe is for cold water only. CPVC is for hot and cold. Time wise, It is almost a push and it depends a lot on how quickly you get into a rhythm with either plumbing types. I do find using Oietker type stainless steel clamps for PEx is quicker than the copper crimp style of rings. When looking at the entire job rather than a single fitting, I think PEx is faster. You can learn to hold CPVC pipe and a fitting in one hand and glue them both at the same time. Shove them together and give them a twist and that is actually pretty quick. The problem comes when you let go of the pipe just to find you have a bad angle on the fitting and need to redo it or have undo stress on the pipe. The latter is a bad choice. With PEx, you can turn the fitting after it is crimped. You can also reuse the fitting by cutting off the crimp or clamp (this will happen). Also, with PEx, you will not need 45 or 22.5 degree fittings. The tubing makes that bend easy with just a little bit of space.

Cost wise, the CPVC will certainly have the edge over PEx, especially if you use the stainless steel clamps instead of the copper rings. A CPVC 1/2" elbow cost .40 or so. A hydropex brass 1/2" elbow will be more like .80. Then you will need 2 rings per fitting. 10-15 cents each for copper crimp and 30 cents or so for stainless steel clamps. Again, you can use less fittings with PEx to do the same job.

Less fittings is less chance for leaks. We are also comparing plastic to brass, copper and stainless steel. I have seen a lot of plastic fittings break (the undo stress thing). Also, when plumbing from under a mobile home, I find trying to keep the dirt out of the glue while doing the fittings a pain. With PEx, I keep rings in my overalls shirt pocket and fitting in a small plastic bag.

Just my views on the the two types of plumbing. Bottom line, I would always choose PEx over CPVC. The performance of the product is just that much better in my opinion.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

JD did not mention one thing that may or may not be a factor to you. PEX is very forgiving when it comes to freeze ups, PVC & CPVC one freeze and it's history. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
CaboWabo

I just did the whole house in Pex and was amazed how quickly it went. I had never used it before, but read a lot about it here in the forums. I have used pvc and cpvc and for my money I'd take pex over that anyday.

CaboWabo
It is what it is