new/introducing; question about moving a MH

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

dukaqwn

Hi, I'm so glad to find this site. You all seem to have a lot of valuable information here. I have a 1998 waverly double wide on 2 acres of land that I am considering moving. I've heard that you shouldn't move double wide MH's, and I wondered if this is true. Mine is 28 x 64, and it will be a major undertaking as it took a bulldozer to get it in here. :roll:
Harry

Hi

You can move a DW. Usually in the case of a DW the 2 sections are disassembled.

It can cost high dollars though....depending on the details.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Greg

Hi & welcome. DWs are movable, but it takes a lot of work to do, not a job most DYI people want to take on. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Brenda (OH)

Why are you wanting to move the DW? if you need more space, an addition may be easier. or adding a 4 seasons room, or a deck, or a pavilion.

or you could take a nice vacation for 3 years in a row for the same cost..... lol

I am a little jaded, I moved a single wide 3 years ago, and since then the state has added inspections that add another $2000 to the process. I am not likely to move another mobile home again, but I am a real estate investor, not a home owner. My reasons are cost and stress related......

Brenda (OH)
dukaqwn

The reason that I am considering moving my home is related to issues concerning the property that my land is on. It is set up in a life estate deed that will leave questionable family members that I don't get along with possibly living next door to me in the future. Upon the death of my stepfather, I can sell the property with my double wide on it, but I hate to invest a lot of time and money on my home and property just to sell it. At the same time, I can't continue to live there without making some improvements. I am just considering all of my options before I do anything at this point. My husband is discouraged about doing anything to our house because of where it is and the circumstances that may happen in the future. However, if we continue to stay there, or if we must sell it, we will have to make improvements on it to either be able to cope with living there, or improve the value of it to sell it. Otherwise, the only option is to pick up and move to a more feasible location. It seems to me to make the best of everything where we are improving what we have would be the best solution because $6,000 could make a lot of improvements rather than moving expenses plus improvements. Then, later when the time comes, if we must sell, we may be able to get more for our property because of the cosmetic improvements that we've made. Then we could just move to another location free and clear of having to drag something with us. Am I making sense?
Greg S

Dollar for dollar it makes far more sense to sell and buy another one. $6000 spent improving the one you have now for resale or putting into the purchase of another one is money better spent on a home than paying someone to drive it down the road.
You need to make a financial decision not an emotional decision.

SELL now and move on or stay where you are fixing it and enjoying it until whatever the future brings.
Dean3

I agree with Greg S for the most part. Financial 1st,emotional 2nd.That said,I do have a nephew that is best when far far FAR away,pretty much all agree too,even his mom.

Since I'm feeling kinda mischievious at the moment---Maybe see what happens with the future and if they move in and make You miserable then move out and rent it to someone that won't take the slightest bit of crap from neighbors and will call the cops at the drop of a hat.. Revenge is much more than being petty,it is a deterrant to the 2nd event.

Dean
Yanita

Hi everyone,

Follow me to the Off Topic forums, this is not about repairs.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
topcat

My nearest family member is 200 miles away, and I love it that way!! i don't hear the drama, BS, and other nonsense that goes with family living close to you......

Good luck with your dilemma!!
'If you tolerate this, then your children will be next'
bell30655

Not only does my closest family members live hundreds of miles away from me but they would NEVER consider living in something that ever had wheels underneath it. Their loss, I love not writing out a mortgage check each month.
topcat

bell30655 wrote:I love not writing out a mortgage check each month.
Good God man, AMEN!!!!!!!! I'm going to love July 1st, the first month when I have no 'first of the month' expenses, as mine is paid for as well and I own the land. :D
'If you tolerate this, then your children will be next'