Hurricane Season 2009

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Harry

Hi

Hurricane season is here again. Hoping we get the rain but no damage.

My bride wants the generator serviced so I'll try to get to it today.

Then there are 3 trees that really need to be removed as they are too close to the home. Need to call the tree guy.

Pictures of all the property inside and out....to backup any possible insurance claims.

Tiedown the boat.

Then go down the checklist.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

Hey Harry,

Yup, we have that extra check list for hurricane season...

I update photo's as needed, copy to a disc and keep the extra one in the safety deposit box at my bank, insurance company has one in my file as well.

We already had our generator serviced. Last week there was a tropical storm off our coast, no threat and was heading out not in. BUT, it did prompt me to get the checklist out.

I am sure you have written on your list to remember any meds for all family and pets as well as any other supplies pets need. All to often people forget their pets.

For any members or lurkers that have recently moved to coastal/hurricane areas please familiarize yourself with your local evacuation routes and shelters... be prepared.

There are many past threads on hurricane preparedness, please feel free to research them...or Harry if you would be so kind to generate a list it would be greatly appreciated. If you choose to do so could you also include the things that can/should/could be done to help secure your home.

Since we no longer have RickD with us I will ask you to be our hurricane weather adviser, I know you track them and always post and leave links about them. LOL, if you care not to do this it is fine as well.

Well need to get ready for work.

Thanks for posting about the impending hurricane season...

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
airplanefreak

I work for an aviation weather company here in Houston. I am computer stupid posting graphics and stuff. (I dispatch aircraft, not forecast weather) But I can help with advisories if you would like me to. In my opinion, my weather peeps have been more accurate with storm predictions than most in the last 8 years I have worked with them.
Harry

Hi

Yes ....I'd like to see your data.

I usually check NOAA, wunderground and weather.com.

I remember watching TV at Hurricane Andrew. I was in Dade county at the time. The storm was suppose to hit the county to the north (Broward). Instead it went south to Dade where I was. My cousin worked for the gov at Homestead Airforce Base. He said the storm spawned 1,000 tornados.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

Hi Airplane freak.

Certainly, we love all the input we can get. When storms start spawning we try to keep a close track on the weather and those members that will be effected.

At the time I made my post to Harry he was the first one to come to mind on storm watching. Sooo, Harry, are you into generating a list for me and for all other members?

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Harry

Hi

Here's a checklist I "Googled".

Food

One gallon of water per day for each person for drinking and food preparation, stored in plastic containers. Plan for three to seven days.

A three- to seven-day supply of canned or nonperishable food that requires little or no preparation or heating.

Food and water for pets for three to seven days

A manual can opener

Paper plates, plastic utensils, plastic bags, plastic garbage bags, waterproof containers and foil

Two coolers - one for food, one for ice

Fuel for any nonelectric cooking source, such as charcoal or propane gas, and matches

Hygiene

Personal toiletries

Antiseptic hand cleanser for each family member

Chlorine bleach

Detergent and cleaners

toilet paper

Electronics

A flashlight and spare batteries for each person

A battery-powered radio and spare batteries

A telephone that plugs directly into a wall jack. Cellular service could be disrupted.

Health

A first-aid kit with bandages, gauze pads, tape, antibacterial ointment, antidiarrhea medication, pain medication, antacids, tweezers, scissors, soap and alcohol

Mosquito repellent and sunscreen for each family member

Prescription medication for two weeks

Home

Plastic tarp

Tool kit

Camera and film

Masking tape

Extra gas for generator

Zip-top plastic bags for storing supplies

Heavy-duty garbage bags
Breck09

My town got hit by a tornado two days ago, no one was hurt or property damaged. But we seems to get hit all season long in Southern Indiana and have had a few even in the winter if it warms up a little.