Tsp substitute

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

mommyagain

Question, Krudkutter makes a tsp substitute that doesn't require all the protection that the normal stuff does. Does anyone know if it would work well enough to use on a roof before putting down a new roof coating? Thanks in advance
Maureen

Hi there,

So sorry that this post got overlooked! I've been a bit under the weather this last week.

I can't comment on krudkutter or their alternative to TSP. Yanita is our krudkutter expert here. I haven't tried it yet, but I plan on it!

The most important thing to consider when prepping the roof for a new coating is not how clean it is. You want to make sure that all vents are sealed with neoprene, or something similar. Then you want to make sure that all rust, if any is removed by sanding. Old coating that is cracking or lifting up, needs to be removed. Basically, follow the instructions on the kool seal or type of coating that you're using.

I haven't coated a roof in 20 years, so I'm sure others will have more tips for you!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
mommyagain

right the other stuff I already knew from my reading thanks
Yanita

Hi,

What is it you want to clean off from your roof?

There are several steps that you need to follow before recoating a roof. Cleaning is definitely one of them, but I have to be honest and say that is one thing I have never clean.

My first thought is if your home does not have gutters then I would not use it. The reason, anything that runs down the side of your home will get streaked cleaned. So you would have to clean the entire exterior of the home.

As for the substitute version never seen it, therefore I have never used it. I know that I have used Krud Kleaner on about everything outside and have had no damage to my plants or anything else out there.

I too apologize for missing this post.

Please look at the various roofing post and see what is involved with proper cleaning and techniques to recoating your roof. Or start an new thread in the repair forum and someone will surely answer you.

Have a great night!

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
JD
Site Admin

A pressure washer with just water could work. You would still have to rinse off the sides of the home before it dries and stains. If you have some grease build up around the vents, you could clean that with a spray bottle, brush and rags and not let the cleaner run down the walls.

Nowadays, most tsp products are only 50%-80% trisodium phosphate. This and tsp substitutes are an effort to reduce algae producing phosphate build up. Very important to rivers, streams, lakes, flats and inshore waters. That is unless you are Big Sugar (FL sugar industry).

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.