What to turn off during short vacation

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

ReginaMT

Hi, all. Long-time lurker, first-time poster, and happy owner of a 2007 Clayton single wide in a park.

I'm thinking about going away for the weekend in October and maybe overnight this week. Should I turn off the main water supply to the house or just the ones that supply the washing machine? If I turn off the water to the whole house, does the water heater have to be turned off too?

If I turn off the main water supply, will the water lines get full of air like they do when the park occasionally shuts off the water for repairs?

Thanks!
Mark
Site Admin

Anytime we leave for even 1 night, we turn off the main water supply. I have an electric water heater, so I don't normally shut it off. (although you could trip the breaker). If you had a gas one, you could turn it to pilot. Generally a water heater will hold its heat for several days when not in use (which in my opinion makes it silly to use a water heater blanket unless it's exposed to cold air or something).

It's also a good idea to unplug toasters & tvs and other electronics as many of them use power whether or not they are turned on.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Robert

Hi,

IF you turn off the main water supply and you should and you have an electric water heater, always turn off the breaker to water heater.

MOST times all would be ok, but not always and you could lose a water heater.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
bell30655

Often I find myself out of town for several days at a time. I turn my water off at the meter and flip the main breaker on the way out the door. Since the only thing gas in my home is the furnace, my gas is only on in the winter months.
ReginaMT

Thanks everyone! Now I can go away and not have to worry.
Harry

Yep

Water main, electric water heater, ceiling fans and reset the air conditioner thermostat here.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?