ceiling fan problem

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Juice

I started to put a ceiling fan into my office today, but when I put the support bar in (like the one on this website) it didn't hit anything. Did I do something wrong or do they make longer bars, like 26"?

Its a new 08' oakwood home.

Thanks.

Juice
Greg

If the bar is pointing front/rear on your home you should have hit something, I have never seen anything from the factory with more than a 24" center. It should be closer to 16", try reaching in with your hand and see if you can feel the truss. it is possible that you ended up going through the truss openings. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Juice

Greg wrote:If the bar is pointing front/rear on your home you should have hit something, I have never seen anything from the factory with more than a 24" center. It should be closer to 16", try reaching in with your hand and see if you can feel the truss. it is possible that you ended up going through the truss openings. Greg
When you say front/rear what do you mean? I had it in pointing toward the end window, so maybe I put it in the wrong way. I can feel the bar hit something but the gap is huge.

I tell ya what though, blow-in insulation is a pain. Can't see a thing and it keeps falling every where haha.
Greg

The front of you home is the end that has (or had) the hitch on it when the home was moved. The trusses do have large gaps in them, that is why I was thinking that you may have ended up going through the gap. You will need to stay tight to the ceiling to keep from going through the gap. You can do a google to see how trusses are made. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."