Agree to DisAgree

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

DigitalDreams

This is like the disclaimer you hear before a radio program that is off the wall.
Neither this forum or the members of it sponsored this post ,it is the
opinion of the poster and the forum takes no responsibility for it's content.

Now to my Show:
It was posted by JD that we give no advise on electrical or gas issues
however each and every time we help someone fix a furnace on their own we are giving advise on both issues.
My point being electrical furnaces use electric, lp furnaces use gas just in bottled form and fuel oil is flammable also.

Each time we tell someone how to fix their own roof or just about any thing except a hang nail (oh wait thats medical) we take a risk of telling them something that based on their question may pose a risk.

Now as I said this is my opinion and you are free to disagree as
a free American and if some don't I would be extremely surprised.

Just to let anyone curious know why I feel as I do I started working at age 16 when I married my first wife, was a plumber for 2 years working for my father in law who owned a plumbing firm.Got tired of the crap both his and the pipes.Went in the service as a radio and service tech for 3 years. Upon discharge went to work for a high voltage firm
who wired grain elevators and farm.Worked for them till they went
under due to the economic downturn in farming in the midwest
in the early 80's which caused them to go bankrupt due to large
credit extensions.Then opened a tv and antenna business with my knowledge from service.Jumped back into electrical after national
firm offered me a position troubleshooting that was more lucrative
than my shop.And 8 years ago when health reasons kept me from
traveling all the time moved into the structural field.Most jobs have risk and life has risk.

Now here is the point of this (Agree to Disagree)

As a help forum I have noticed that Robert kindly refers you to a expert if the post contains insufficient data to give a professional answer. And most all the people here do the same if the question contains less than all the facts needed to render a expert opinion.

However we need to keep a open mind on all topics because not all people who live in a mobile home live there by choice.I choose to because I was brought up that keeping up with the jones was why
jones died of a heart attack last year.

However others whom ask advise may be living there, because like it or not older mobile homes are cheaper to purchase or rent than
most stick built housing and the option in hard times require them
to do what is cost efficient, which includes their own small electrical repairs and fix a occasional gas furnace, because repairmen don't work for free and usually don't come back if you still haven't paid for the last time they was there.

So in my personal opinion I would rather see a occasional helpful hint on those subjects and know that some DO IT YOURSELFER
had either a opinion from a expert or a gentle nug in the direction of the local expert than be turned down blatantly and take a risk with no advise either way.

Remember safety is the main concern
and decent free advise is better than blind wandering.I'm sure that with the multitude of members that belong to this forum that we could find a expert in practically every field if we needed.

Now I understand that many areas have different codes and regulations and the answers to any question should be checked
by the user to see if they pertain or are to code in his area of the country.

And every question here that has to do with repair pertains to a mobile home or they would be asking Bob Villa so lets not say we won't give advise but rather that, if it in the opinion of the experts
who belong to the forum that a repair is risky, that the opinions offered are the best we have based on the question asked and that this it is, a safety related reason we don't answer in laymans terms.

Because if you give a expert answer and they don't understand it then they need to call a expert but if they do then maybe they are competent to do the repair and just needed a bit of advise.After all it is called a mobile home repair forum.

I know for a fact in every field I have worked that from time to time I have had to consult the manuals and specs because we all are
human and don't remember every spec.

So in summary I myself think answering any question on the forum
weather it be construction - electrical - plumbing - furnace or just plain what color to paint the deck should be answered, if no more than to say this is a risky en devour you are planning to undertake
, here is why and please call a pro because we care about or friends and fellow mobile home dwellers.
LovinLife

Wow, a little long winded but I agree lol. If there are experts in a field please do try and help. Just add a disclaimer to your signature :D
[img]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c260/institches321/daisy%20land/poll.gif[/img]
JD
Site Admin

Digital Dreams - We will agree to disagree but we will not get into topics of electrical and gas topics in the Mobile Home Repair forum until and if that policy ever changes. I did not make that policy. I only accepted it. The sticky on gas and electric questions was a collaboration of all 4 moderators and Mark the owner of this website.

Mark saw a need for a website to help home owners with mobile home repairs, so he created this one. This was by far the best website forum for that subject when I joined several years ago. I feel it is still by far the best mobile home repair website and it certainly has some of the nicest people you will find in a forum on any subject. I may be an exception to that statement, but I never felt compelled to sway or stretch the policies that Mark and the hard working moderators has set for this private enterprise.

Somewhere in the past logs of this forum, I replied to a couple electrical questions. When it was announced that this forum was no longer going to pursue electrical questions, I understood and accepted that position.

That is just my opinion on the matter.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Yanita

Hi,

I am with JD on this...

We give "MH repair" advice, from professionals as well as the great group of forum members that have tried about every repair that the imagination can come up with.

Our HVAC forums are run to the discretion of Robert and Mark.

As I stated in another post, there are many sites and books that have the information that many seem to want. It is not our obligation to provide information that we are not comfortable giving.

There comes a time when we need to determine what is allowed and what is not, this is for the safety of our members. Disclaimers are what they are, but many do not read them. I am not going to debate the legalities of any of it.

Now, may we please put this subject to rest...

Have a great day.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Jim from Canada

Ummm, my 2 cents. Can't resist.
When you get into repairing and altering gas and electric it cannot be taken for granted that it has not been modified before, and by whom. There is no telling from a post what the poster is getting into. Like Digital says, even the pros have to consult manuals etc. It is not like having a 2x4 falling on your foot. It could kill you right now! There are other forums that do not hesitate to give advise on these topics. IMO, I do not want to see any one of us get hurt, better safe than sorry.

Jim
DigitalDreams

Wow do I love to start a debate. If most people didn't disagree with me I would think I was loosing it. So no electrical and gas guys just hammers and nails. Just remember hammer safety (broken fingers hurt I should Know).

But I do have to say as Jim says Minimum code is just that minimum
and any advise is just that (Advise), because even two experts can disagree if you don't believe me see two different doctors next time you have a weird health problem. Or if you need a cheaper example just call two different types of roof installers next time the roof leaks.

OH AND REMEMBER :The real expert is the guy your willing to pay for his advise or services! So if you got good advise here then please patronize Marks Online store.
Greg

Digital, The thing (in my opinion) that makes electrical work dangerous is the fact that if it is a "hot" wire and you touch it, it may very well be too late - no warning, just ZAP. USUALLY circuit breakers will do their job if the circuit is wired wrong.

As for Gas, when you hear the explosion ( if you do) it is TOO late!

EVERY repair has a degree of risk, but most give you fair warning. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

You want a debate,

Well until recently this topic was not a sore spot with anyone. Our general responses have been accepted, understood and appreciated.

I personally feel you are trying to drag this out and make alot more out of it than is really necessary. JD, left a great link for members or lurkers to go to get electrical/gas advice.

No one has been disrespectful to you and we have allowed your post and YOUR OPINION!

But, in my OPINION your new signature was changed with the sole point of being derogatory.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
DigitalDreams

Not really I'm just letting everyone know a post is my opinion and not necessarily that of the management and staff of this forum and while
I will follow the rules set down by Mark and those he has saw fit to appoint as his leaders.

However I am not one of those people who follows the rules without occasionally questioning them and if open minded discussion is not what you seek here just ask me to leave I won't be offended.

I only offer my opinions base on life experiences and ask questions
in quest of knowledge yet unknown or yet unverified.I realize my
way of expressing myself doesn't always rub everyone the right way
and am sincerely sorry if I offended you or anyone else.
Greg S

DigitalDreams

I for one concur.
Although I have no formal education in any trades there is no single trade that I have not performed multiple times over the past 35 year of home ownership. I do not throw money at contractors when I know with a little (sometimes a lot) of research I am able to learn whether I am competent to perform said task myself. This of course excludes work which must be performed by a licensed individual.
Fortunately in the case of personal home ownership one can perform almost all work oneself requiring only a licensed individual to inspect the complete work.

I believe that it would be helpful if on a mobile home specific site we could get info on all topics which may be mobile home specific however there are many other sites that are willing to assist that have moderators and members that are more than competent and comfortable in relaying information as requested.

Although I question the moderators overly protective stand, dare I say motherly, on this topic it is very rare that electric and gas questions are mobile home specific.
Go forth young man and seek knowledge else where.
JD
Site Admin

This whole group of threads is getting to the point of ridiculous. There is no debate. This forum has informed you of our stance on the original subject and you disagree with it. End of subject. You are asking a private entity to GIVE you something. That entity has said NO. Pretty simple stuff.

We certainly do not want any of our satisfied members to leave our forum. I have read and appreciated many of your posts. But at this time, we are not looking for open discussions on how we should operate mobilehomerepair.com. You may post or email your suggestions, if you wish.

This whole protest was generated by a person or persons believing that roofing, plumbing and hammer mishaps are risks on par with electrical and gas risks.

We have operated for years without having this problem blown out of proportion like this. These disruptions are childish. If you wish to find knowledge elsewhere, please do so.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg S

I believe you are misinterpreting this discussion. No one is asking that the moderators change there position on this matter some of us are simply having a discussion on the merits of the decision.

Your decision is made. It's your site. We are good with that.

Since we are not directly challenging or requesting a change in your decision why not sit on the sidelines and monitor. Is this not what off topic is for?
If the discussion remains civil what harm are we doing.
topcat

LOL..... I didn't know that discussing electrical and gas issues was taboo here. I would agree with giving out information on servicing gas, as it's very fickle and very dangerous if not handled properly. Electrical on the other hand is very common sense and easy. Most dimwits with half a brain can do electrical work and never have issues. I guess I'm cynical, as I've been in the electrical field and electronics for many years... I guess it comes down to liability issues and possible lawsuits...... ohh well. rather amusing thread and entertaining thread.
'If you tolerate this, then your children will be next'
Lorne

" Electrical on the other hand is very common sense and easy".

Right. But how about the folks that have non. whole new topic right there.
One good law suit and Mark might end up working for Mc D's.
I agree with the limitations.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Robert

I agree with JD, Yanita and Greg here, this thread is laughable at best with what has been posted.

Electrical is a LONG way from common sense and easy and it would take a dimwit with half a brain to think or say otherwise, especially if you have been in that field for years.

If that offends, sorry, but this has reached its limit.

EVERY member or lurker who has asked an electrical question or thought about it was just insulted and disrespected.

Electrical goes way beyond connecting wires and running a simple circuit.

Depending on application, there are safeties needed, codes to follow, amperage limits to know, etc.

The rules are set and have been since I joined this site in 2000.

As for as the hvac forums go, I have been doing this online since '99 and here since 2000.

Is there a risk, yes and always will be. However, I'm very careful about what info I give and who I give it to and am well over 50% at NOT giving advice beyond calling an hvac tech.

NOT because too little info was given most times, but because enough was given for me to KNOW it is not DIY.

Anything unanswered can be found at most any library or on the net with a little research.

So, only reason for any discussion on the rules here is simply to express your displeasure which leads to same from others and continues to build from there.

Rules are just that and if not happy with them, it is easily avoided.

We do not want anyone to leave, but at same time, do not and will not continue to have this site and those who keep it flowing and the one who owns it to be repeatedly disrespected.

Read and enjoy the abundance of info and help and help those yourself within the rules set forth.

If more info needed/desired or more help wished to be dispensed by yourself, both can be done elsewhere and you get best of both the worlds you desire.

Been a happy and helping family for too long to continue with this which only leads to discord amoung our members and readers and will NOT bring forth any changes.

We thank you for your thoughts and respect them and ask for you to give the same to ours and the rules stated.

I'm locking this thread now and let's move on and help those in need as we can safely.

Thank you and I sincerely hope all stick around.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?