Sheetrock & Ceiling

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

freespirit

Hello All,

Well we have started our remodeling project and so far so good. Removed paneling (insulation in walls is still nice and thick) - no rotted wood in walls or window frames etc.

2X3 outer studs and ceiling joists.

We are wanting to Sheetrock the ceiling - do we have to use furring strips? The guy we have working on our place did not put the strips down on our lumber/Sheetrock order he laid out for us. I printed out instructions from the Internet about how the furrings were laid out but he failed to write down the strips. So I am not sure if he thinks it does not have to be done or what. He remodeled his own mobile home but he said he put tongue & Groove White Pine on his ceilings.

I just want to make sure we are doing it the best way and properly. What size Sheetrock would be best and lightest 3/8", 1/2" or 5/8"?

And if we use 3/8" should we go 10" apart for furrings or is 12" fine for that size also?

Our ceilings are in great shape - never exposed to the elements as the mobile has been under full metal roof cover since placed new on foundation (late 60's model). He had a heck of a time even trying to break through the ceiling tiles to see where the joists were.

Please advise,
Thank you,
Laurie
freespirit

Another quick question - what size sheetrock on the walls do you suggest? He has 1/2 ' written down. We are on a full walk out basement under full cover and hardly get any wind minimal if any.

Would you think 1/2 would be o.k or should we go with 3/8?

Thank you,
Laurie
AlanF

from my local retailers, 1/2" is cheaper than 3/8's.
I wouldnt suggest 3/8s anyways.
If you think you want to go with 5/8s then get a fire rated product. Fire rated 5/8s will give you a "1hour burn" rating. Its also much more expensive than 1/2".

I would go with 1/2", I wouldnt want 5/8" drywall hanging overhead from a 2x3.
As far as furring out your cieling, It will be easier to drywall. Strap it out with 1x4 running your strips length ways down the trailer and cross ways at every partition wall so you have a screw backing to. Run the straps at 16" on center.

BTW your roof joists are 16" on center, find one and find one and you can find all the rest with a tape measure.
Jim from Canada

5/8" drywall is the minimum you want to go with. If you go thinner the ceiling will be wavy. This is true on joists being 16" OC and you probably have 24" OC. What was in there originally?

Jim
flcruising

According to USG Sheetrock Brand, 3/8" sheetrock is acceptable on 16"o.c. ceilings where no water-based texturing is going to be applied.

Here's the install manual.

Page 7 is the spacing table I'm referring to.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
freespirit

Thank you all,

I think we will split and go with 1/2'. Its easier to come by then 3/8" and not as heavy as 5/8"

Thank you and were off to the lumber yard.

Laurie
Dean3

There is 1/2" fire rated sheetrock nowadays and with 16OC trusses I think it would be fine. It is often code to use fire rated sheeting on the cieling and on the garage cieling and garage wall that is common with the house,,of course that is in an attached garage! :) Doing it that way should conform to code and maybe help keep Your insurance costs down a bit too.

If the trusses or beams,whatever,are 24" OC then 5/8" sheetrock is a good idea to help support blown-in insulation and avoid the "wavy cieling" Jim mentioned. For the cielings use extra screws in the field(middle between factory tapered edges)and screw off the butt joints more than recommended too,,it's more to finish(mud)but adds strength.

I've hung and finished sooo much rock it'd make Ya cry.. :)

Dean