Spring Cleaning Tips!

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

kashton

I do like the magic erasers. They work really well. Just be careful about the walls and what kind of paint you have. I use them on the jobs too. I still get down on hands and knees to do the floors. I have a thing about mops! oh, a little tip for swiffer users. Instead of buying the swiffer clothes(that cost a fortune) buy a 30 pack of the cheap terry face clothes from Walmart( $5.95) They fit the swiffer perfect, can be rinced for bigger jobs, and can be washed and reused!

My spring cleaning goes on all year. I can't believe the amount of dust. And I have allergies, So every few days the furniture gets moved to clean. I do have the blinds to wash. As for the windows, they are being replaced. Most of the spring cleaning consists of a large garbage bag, and a box for the garage sale stuff.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
macmom

ok thought I would send my few tips. When lining my mini trash cans i use the walmart or grocery store bags. I will line the trash can with 2 or 3 so when i am cleaning all I have to do is grab the handles of the bag tie it and go...there is already another bag in the can. I do this for my trash can in the kitchen too. I store my trash bags at the bottom of my kitchen trash can so they are always within reach..
as a money saving tip buy the washer wiper fluid and use it for cleaning your mirrors and glass. It cost a dollar at any auto supply or walmart for a gallon and it last a long time..
Yanita

LOL Macmom,

I do the same thing with the trash bags/Wal Mart bags. Have even trained my customers to do the same, sure saves alot of steps!

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Maureen

Yanita and Macmom,

I do the same thing! I just never thought of using more than one bag at a time! What a revelation! Duh moment... must be that blonde thing I got goin on!

I have found out that not all plastic bags are worth using or even saving! We have a few grocery store around here that are using some really bad bags. They won't hold anything without putting a hole in the bag.

So, I've been very particular these days about which bags I use for garbage!

Another use for plastic bags, is for doggie lovers! They make great poop patrol bags! Ryan started using this when he was little. When I could talk him into poop patrol. Take one bag and use it for a hand wrap to pick up the poop, another bag to to deposit the poop. When the chore is finished, tie a knot in the bag, and you're done!

Next Sunday is Earth day! Look forward to green tips very soon!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
JD
Site Admin

Possibly veering a little off the topic of this off topic topic, instead of buying plastic sandwich and food storage bags, I buy the rolls of bags used in the vegetable areas of grocery stores. We get them at Smart & Final. We have them in the kitchen next to the paper towels. They are always out and handy.

You get like thousands of these things for ten bucks. I use them all the time for anything, and they will do everything but long term freezing. They are good in the freezer for 2-3 months. I have been using these kinds of bags for about ten years, and have only run out of bags twice. That is about 30 bucks in 10 years. I just tie a knot to seal the bag. They don't leak and are actually quite stout.

I'll store semi-liquids, left overs, cut up onions. Depending on what it is, I will just stick my hand in the bag and pick up the food stuff like it was a glove and invert the bag over the stuff. When cooking with real messy stuff, cleaning/filleting fish or getting rid of bacon grease. etc., I use a bag as a liner in a small can. Throw the junk in there, tie it up and toss it away.

When the roll gets down to about 1/4", I throw it into my painting supplies box. When I need to walk away from a wet brush or roller, I stick it in a bag and twist the bag around the handle. I can go for an hour lunch and still come back to a usable roller or brush.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Maureen

Hi JD,

Not far off topic at all!

After making that post last night, I got to thinking about plastic and just how much we all use these days. That might be a good thing to try to reduce this year. Not all plastic can be recycled and most takes thousands of years to to break down.

Your tip JD, would fit right into that plan! I'll have to stop by Smart and Final to check it out next week!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'