MH in park vs move to private land

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

marriednamobile

What's the verdict with everyone?
Owning land would be nice, but how many of you and your MH are in a park, oops, I mean "manufactured community" :wink:
and big pro's and con's you'd like to share with a new MH dweller?
Oh, just to be upfront, when I saw the range in prices for moving a MH to land I think my heart stopped :shock:
The flower that blooms in adversity is the rarest, and most beautiful of all.
lefties

own my land,,wouldnt have it any other way.
1997 commodore repo-1450 sq ft.
Yanita

I have owned 3 MH's all under slightly different placement arrangements.

The first was in a MH Community in which you own your home and a 3/4 acre lot. This was in Vermont. It was a great place to live and raise my kids. The community was very clean and everyone maintained their properties. I go there now just to see the old home when I go to Vermont...everything has changed...it's a trashy looking community at this time.

My second MH I purchased when we moved to North Carolina. We placed it in a park after much research. At the time I did not want to purchase land until I knew the area better and made sure I bought land in a good area. That park we stayed for 10 years.

It had it's good and bad qualities. The good was the owner placed people that lived the same type of life styles in the same areas. Families in one area, elderly in another and not so desirable people in yet a nother area. This seemed to work well until the unruly families and undesirable individuals out numbered us!

Lastly, we bought land and a doublewide....could not be better...unless a developer buys the huge fields behind me and builds town houses and uses my land as a right away! So far so good.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
QueenofmyDoubleWide

Your own land. I also wouldn't have it any other way.
QueenofmyDoubleWide

Yanita wrote: The first was in a MH Community in which you own your home and a 3/4 acre lot. This was in Vermont.
Wow!! 3/4 acre lot in a MH Community, that's pretty good!
When we lived in Massachusetts, which has very limited number of parks, or even allow mobile homes, they were always on top of each other.
DigitalDreams

No question about it (your own land unless you in one of those uppity parts of the country that still think manufactured, and movable means trailer trash but then you can always use the argument my son did when he went to private school that he lived in a double wide which made him uppity trailer trash)

Upside to own land you can add on to it modify and put what you want in the back yard.No one complaining about your noisy dog.No lot rent.

Down side if you live in country like me.Maintaining own well and septic more lawn to mow(no noisy neighbors)wups thats a up side
and thats about it unless you got a really long driveway in that case
snow blowing too.OH and property taxes.

I'm betting if we took a poll here today 94% of the mobile home owners here would prefer their own land option.
Suzque49

We have a triple wide on 10 acres. We love it, don't want to ever have to move back into town, let alone into a MH community. We really enjoy the quiet, privacy and views.
If you have the choice, I would vote for the land any day.
Susan
Jim from Canada

I wish I had my own land...getting a landlord to do anything is ridiculous! I would also go rural. Then, if I had neighbours like I do now, I could put up a big privacy fence. My land, my rules!

Jim
marriednamobile

well the consensus seems to be MH on your own land, how long did it take you guys to get to that point though?
Did you have to live in a community for a while first, or did you just get a mortgage for land and plop a MH on it?
The flower that blooms in adversity is the rarest, and most beautiful of all.
bell30655

As usual I seem to be of the opposite opinion from the majority. I bought a trailer that was already in a park and I love it. I think a lot depends on the park. Our park is very clean. The lot rent is very inexpensive and I pay no property taxes. This park has one way in and the same way out. We have plenty of speed bumps to keep the traffic slow.

I'm a single father with a six-year-old daughter. My daughter has a lot of friends in the park and with a close community she is always finding people to play with.

I've added a large deck to the back and we cook out with friends. I actually look forward to morning when we all meet at the school bus stop. While I've thought about purchasing land, I would miss the community.
DigitalDreams

Downside to owning land is like what happened to me tonight,
Neighbor behind me was burning leaves and it got away from him
caught my field on fire and burn't nearly 150 acres of corn stubble
before fire department got it put out ,thank god for the drainage ditch between my field and the house or i'd be livin in a rv while they built me a new house.

That wouldn't have happened in a MH park!
Jim from Canada

Digital, in our park, it would have happened anyway. You are lucky to live in a "community". We have a landlord that will not do anything and keeps finding ways to charge more for it. Most of the places around here are dumps with people who don't care. Some of them, I think, just sit around trying to think of ways to annoy others. We had 1 place that the whole side of the house blew off a couple of weeks ago. No clean up, The guy is still living in it, most of the place is tarp walls. The landlord just bought 3 old units that are full of mold. He is putting some "lipstick and mascara" on them and will sell them to some poor unsuspecting slob and the cycle will continue. The one he is working on now is right next door to the blown down one, and he expects to sell with that sitting in the next lot.

Jim
Dean3

Well both Me and My place seem to be somewhere in the middle on the traditional older MH park scale. Old home but not the worst there is--decent landlord,maybe gettin better--low lot rent($150),for now--decent size yard-- trees--quiet enough but I can make noise if I'm sensible about it-- neighbors do help neighbors,within reason--room for 3 vehicles on My drive,,,Those are some good points,,[here's the bad],,--heavy rain and a 2" river hits the front yard,at least it did before the added gravel--gravel in the grass/snowplow-- lotsa weed eating edges--softened water(a large high quality filter would be better)--kids with cars!(there's a topic)--and lastly,a few undesirables,but they usually keep to themselves,I get along with *most* people anyway,,good and "bad". :)

All that said,,I want My own land..If I have to live in a town park tho,,this is a good one for Me.

Dean
AngieH63

We own our mh but rent in a mh park. It's a nice park. I believe our lot is a half-acre. We live in the back of the park where we only have neighbors to the sides of us and across the road. We have woods abutting our back yard. Sometimes see wildlife. There is also a community tornado shelter. Our cable and water is included with our rent. They mow our yard for us. We are responsible for weedeating. The bad thing is they can go up on rent whenever they want to, and they have done so a few times over the past years. We were just informed today that it is going up $10 more starting May 1. Can't do anything about it but move. I've lived here since August 1993. It's still cheaper than most apartments.
Greg S

Our park is a adult only community. The majority of the community being older, and many single, are here because of the community support.
Many have moved here to reduce costs and the responsibilities associated with larger homes and land.