HardiePanel siding

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

ronm

Hello all. I am interested in using Hardiepanel (vertical) siding for my Double Wide. When comparing the cost of Vinyl siding it appears to be the same and it looks like it's easier to install. My question is would I need to run furring strips vertically down the exterior walls and what type of wrap(tyvek or roofing paper) should I use? Would the wrap go underneath the furring strips? Also should I be concerned about the weight of the hardiepanel?
Thanks again for all your help.
Ron
Greg

I would remove the old siding first, both for weight and to do an inspection of the wall cavity, plus you can add any insulation that may be missing. Then you can install tyvek and mount the new siding directly to the studs.
This will also make trimming around doors & windows easier. You will also need to form & install some type of Z channel at the top to keep water from getting behind the panels. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
ronm

Thanks Greg. I've completely gutted the inside of the mobile home and the walls are exposed from the inside. I was thinking that if I left the metal walls up that would provide another layer of protection.
Thanks, Ron
JD
Site Admin

I totally agree with Greg. The metal siding tells me the home might be of that magic era when 1.5" of fiberglass was supposed to be enough for anyone. After removing the old siding on these homes, I have often found spaces between studs where the insulation had come loose and was resting in the bottom 24" of the wall.

This will also help you to not create a condensation problem between the two sidings.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
ronm

JD, thanks. I think the condensation issue is a good point.
Thanks again, Ron