Do you smoke...?

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Dean3

LOL! Now We're talkin some serious $hi#!!

Harry;
Clay? Never heard that one before! I thought the only thing that thrived in clay,,,was clay! :)

Yanita;
Here too,more dang cows than I can shake a stick at! My neighbor lady has relatives with horses,,,it could be She just wanted to help get rid of the "big pile" she mentioned!! If it really was better I'd see about gettin a bucket load dumped onto a tarp in My truck when the time comes. Maybe I'll try a little on a stretch of tilled and see for Myself,,the cows will give Me the remainder..:D

Audie;
As You may have seen I bought a Top-O-Matic machine,looks alot like the Supermatic,here's what I did;

Tried the handheld cheapie unit($7)1st,worked pretty good,stuffed 5 tubes and by the 3rd one had it down pat,,will be a good backup machine..Then broke out the "big boy" Top-o-matic,,overfilled it the 1st time of course! No prob tho cause I read the warning and stopped pullin,,cleaned as directed,,tried again and WALLAH!! right nice cig!! and just as You said,,tamp to pack a bit and twist the end!.. I twist and give the slightest pinch to flatten,,dunno why,I just do.Rolled 4 more just to do it.They burn juuust fine and taste waaayyyy better than those FSC "rags" ever could.

----As if I didn't already figure it,,I just got an IM from My Nephew and His "lawyerish" research found no restrictions on growing,,then He said "just DON'T sell it"..Many thanks to Him tho cause I wanted the extra assurance,just to be sure..----

Hmmm,after smoking that whole pound of hand rolled and unfiltered cigs these light cig tubes sure are light! Might have to try the reg strength tubes and play/practice some more!

Now,,,where's My beer?!?! I'm ready.

Dean
Yanita

Well folks, I entertained the idea of buying the machine and the baccy by the pound...I also know me as making the time to do it probably would not happen, so I would resort to just picking up a pack at a time....soooooo

Today I went to the pharmacy and got the Nico derm cq patches. Not a big deal right now, 81/2 hours since the last cig...went out to dinner and of course really wanted a cig afterwards. Was not to bad, just distracted myself with conversation and fidgeting...will see what happens tomorrow morning during coffee.

Sooo, heads up...I am trying to quit...again, this time more serious than the last... make no promises on quitting, as with most things will take this day by day.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Linda

This was in our newspaper here in Ft. Worth today. Hubby & I started on the patches yesterday. We have been smoking for more than 43 years but I can't see spending 150.00 a week for smokes. That is two car payments and we only have one car. It is going to be harder on him because he has never wanted to quit and he smokes three packs a day. Even with him buying in OK and LA at the Indian Nations the prices have gone up to where you wouldn't save that much. I don't think I have the green thumb I can kill ivy, so can't grow tobacco. We will just see if we can stop.

Linda

Tobacco taxes

As of April 1, federal tobacco taxes officially increase to fund an expansion of the State Children’s Health Insurance Program (SCHIP). Here’s a look at what the federal taxes were — and what they will be.

• Product Old rate New rate Percent increase
    Cigarettes .39 per pack $1.01 per pack 158.9 percent
    Moist smokeless tobacco .59 per pound $1.51 per pound 155.9 percent
    Large cigars 20.72 percent of wholesale price 52.7 percent of wholesale price 154.3 percent
    Pipe tobacco $1.10 per pound $2.83 per pound 157.3 percent
    Little cigars .04 per pack $1.01 per pack 2,425 percent
    Chewing tobacco .20 per pound .50 per pound 150 percent
    "Roll your own" $1.10 per pound $24.78 per pound 2,153 percent
Source: www.TobaccoIssues.com
Dean3

I'll guess that anything they do to make it hard to get/afford or illegal will do the same thing prohibition did to alcohol,,simply push it to the underground suppliers and make them more powerful. Alcohol and Tobacco put Al Capone and many others into luxery for a long time.

Tobacco is grown in many places nowadays,maybe when it is profitable enough South America will grow it and smuggle it into the US along with Kilos of Cocaine,,or Turkey will do it like they do with Hashish and Opium/Heroin. Of course it will be soon enough when they refine it and remove the nicotine to be transported effectively having *more kick with less space* for smugglers,,juuust like they do with Cocaine. When You couple that with the fact that pure nicotine is *exceedingly* potent,,those Do-Gooders are openning a nasty can of worms,,good intentions>yes,,nasty results>guaranteed. Maybe not in My lifetime but it *will* happen. Anybody see the news lately? They recently found a drug smuggling submarine,,,wonder how many thousands of vessels like that out there?

Personally I believe quitting is the best choice,but,if One is going to do it then in it's natural form is best for everybody concerned. And that My Friends,is that.

I wonder how many times we humans need to re-learn the same lessons? One would think that with the advent of the written word such re-learning would be better reduced,,,seems not.

Sorry,I woke up in "one of those moods" :) Coffee is helping now. Wich reminds Me,Yanita,how's Yer mornin goin? I have a hard head so Ya might chip a tooth when Ya bite it off! :D

Dean
Yanita

Hi Dean,

Thanks for asking...it really has not been as bad as I thought it might/could be. Maybe because I have decided I need to do this for me. Not for society, hell I enjoy smoking and all the nastiness it creates.

Morning coffee was "different" without the cigs, but really not bad.

I have taken a slightly different quitting approach than others I know. Everyone else bans smoking from their home, cars etc and remove all ashtrays and cigs from the home. I have not done that. Although I know that everyone must quit in a way that works for them.

I hate the smell and the mess smoking creates. To me leaving this about the home/car reinforces that wanting to quit... Hopefully it will also make it easier to be around those that do smoke.

Well, gotta find something to do...the office/pc area was unofficially the smoking area of the home. I do not really want a cig right now but the automatic routine actions are getting a little stronger than I might be :shock:

Will be back latter.

Hoping for my first smoke free day...in 34 years!

Yanita
Dean3

You're welcome Yanita. Glad things are acceptable,I know for *fact* those patches *do* help! Just add Your willpower better than I did and You'll have it licked,I got faith in ya.

You All know I have been very deep into this thread,many thanks to Audie for starting it!,,and All Contributors too! I dunno what the records for longest running or most pages of a thread is but I would love to see this one break all the MHR records.

I went back to do a quick re-read and We have truly covered many aspects of the subject,,I have long been intrigued by conversation and the varied tacks it can take. As with several off-topic threads the last few months or so,this thread has not disappointed!

"Long live the Thread"!!

Dean
Harry

Hi Yanita

Sounds like you are on the right course.

With me quiting was easier after 2 weeks. Now I approach it one day at a time. I quit August 1992.

Wishing you good luck.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

Well Dean, I have been here for about 5 years and this is the longest thread I call recall...THANKS YANITA :D ...ROFLMAO. Naw, I seldom lock a thread in Off Topic.

Anyways, Hey Harry thanks for the encouragement, 15 more minutes and it has been 24 hours! Felt a surge of irritation earlier...Hubby retreated to the garage! I cleaned the master bath..good job I might add! ohhh, and I finally got my surround sound installed...woo hoo have had it for months and could never get it right, tomorrow the race ought to sound saaaaweeeet!

I am thinking that the first 24 hours is the easiest...

For all you smokers out there, hold on, the federal tax increase is coming, the latest hike was for the state! Looks like maybe the pharmaceutical companies are going to see more revenue just from the patches. I went to the pharmacy today to get a second box of patches to have on hand...yup, they are wiped out.

Yanita
Dean3

Yeah! What You said! LOL.

Well this ol' Iowa boy ain't-a-gonna win no cig injecting speed contests that's for sure!

I think I can hand roll faster at this juncture! No filters that way tho,I better keep cranking the machine. Got through the 1st full box of tubes and just a bit of another box. My excuse is;I live alone and have to do everything else,answer phone,laundry,type on the PC,watch TV,water the bacco seeds,and so on..

The real truth is,after the initial jamb-up,,I'm afraid I'll break it before I can milk it for enough product..I don't even use My knob to crank it,I grab lower on My handle cause I'm afraid all that leverage will snap sumthin in the box!

Sherry,if You are gonna get an injection machine(cig stuffer)I suggest Audie's suggestion! The Supermatic Premier. I already had to modify My Top-o-matic...

The spring that tensions the tube gripper became weak so I had to bend it a tad bit shorter at the connection,hoping that it didn't break,,and yes,tried cleaning dust/debris off the rubber gripper 1st,many times,it just pushed the tube off before total load. A few times of that was enough grief for Me,I grabbed My pliers and went at it. Everything seems fine now,worked good till I quit and packed a bunch in the ol' icebox.

Dean
DigitalDreams

Dean when you figure out what grade of tabacy they use for chew tell me and I'll throw up a green house I must use 3 tins a week and tried patch's and all that did was make me need more patch's.

As far as I know they don't make a patch that has
the same mg dose as a good chew so guess I'll just produce my own when it gets to expensive to buy.

I look at life as a learning experience (every time the cost is more than I wanna pay I learn to do it
thus comes the experience.
sd0321

Dean,

I'll keep that in mind, the supermatic - premier....although I found one convienence store still selling packs of my off brand cigarettes for 3.39 a pack versus 4 something a pack.....can we start a new thread on ex's????? Sherry
Dean3

DigitalDreams,if I remember right,there are varieties of bacco plant good for smokeless. I haven't seen anything on the process to make it yet,bet there are several.

Here Ya go,there are 5 varieties of seed for chew here;

http://www.seedman.com/Tobacco.htm

This was an interesting read even though I don't chew;

http://www.howtogrowtobacco.com/forum/v ... 680b14a293

I'm not sure yet but I'm thinking a similar cut to smoking tobacco for chew,let it go overly dry,then flavor with liquid,whatever flavor You like wich moistens it again,,kinda just guessing now tho. Also no clue how to preserve it. I'm new to this other than striking matches and flicking lighters for the last few decades. It is kinda interesting tho Digital,keep Me thinkin on it,maybe something will turn up.

Dean
Dean3

Sherry,,sure can,You can start any thread(within reason I'm sure)You want especially here in "off topic" section,,it is up to the moderators/group owner wether they let it fly or shut it down. Yanita did say recently She rarely shuts down off topic threads.

I see nothing wrong with an "Ex" thread.

Dean
Yanita

LOL, Your right Dean, I "rarely" shutdown an Off Topic thread, but as I also said, I do reserve the right to lock any thread. My job and rights as Admin/Mod of this site.

You can discuss a multitude of things as long as everyone remembers this is a family based site. Watch the language, innuendos and please no names of real people...

Yanita
Dean3

Uh oh!! Innuendos too! Jeeez Louise I'm prolly already in deeep trouble. :)....Wutcha think Doc,,will I ever recover/learn?!

Dean