Light Switch

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

nomis

I am having trouble with a light switch. It is a rocker-type switch in the self-contained box.
It is a three wire (black, white ,ground)and in the light switch is three wires. One goes to the closet light in the room, one is the receptacles, and the other is the hot wire.
The light would only come on after pushing or jiggling it while turning it on. I removed the old one, took it and matched it up exactly. When I took the old one off, I marked the wires in the order they came off, but I didn't pay close enough attention to exactly how the wires were in the switch. In the back there are two slots for white and two for black and one for ground in the middle. I messed up not seeing whether the white and black went thru one or both slots(punch down kind)

When I hooked it back up, light stays on all the time and the receptacles turn on and off. Closet light works right. There is another bedroom adjacent to this one with the exact setup. I took that one apart to look at it and it has the white wires going thru both slots and the blacks(2 on one side,1 on the other) just going through 1 slot in the back. I tried that setup, and that is what I got.
Anybody have any ideas? I really want to use this replacement switch I bought.
Greg

Ok If I am understanding this right you now have lights that are always hot and recepticals that are now switched? Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
nomis

Thanks for replying. Yeah, thats exactly what happened. Light is always on, outlets turn on/off.
Greg

Some how the white wires form the lights & the white wires from the outlets got mixed up. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."