Newbie with some questions....

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

englishk72

My fiancee and I are currently searching for a mobile home. We have looked at serveral, both old and new. Today we looked at a 1993 model.....I think it was a Century....its a repo, and needs work, but due to location, size and price, may very well be the home for us.

This home has 7ft ceilings.....is it possible to raise the ceilings in a mobile home? Whats between the ceiling panels and roof in a mobile home? Would we be able to reinsulate?

Being a repo, it appears the previous owners trashed the place before moving out...I think they broke just about every window in the place. Would we be able to use replacement windows from Lowes, or Menards, or would we have to get windows specifically for a mobile home?

Last question.....I think!! lol Can drywall be hung in a mobile home? There is currently, cant think of what its called, that panel board stuff, comes in sheets like paneling, but looks like wallpaper.

Thanks in advance!
Demolition

Raising ceilings would affect the structural integrity. Since I do Demolition, I have seen the structure beneath the walls. I advise against raising the ceilings.

Windows you would have to get from a mobile home parts dealer. Look in the yellow pages or ask some MH installers for one in your area.

Dont know about drywall or paneling.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
Yanita

Hi,

Welcome to the site.

You can replace your windows with ones from Home Depot or Lowe's or any other place you desire. You can get new construction windows or replacement windows.

Trying to get windows "off the shelf" from a big box store will be hard if even possible. Windows in MH's are not the traditional sizes. BUT, you can enlarge the openings to accommodate your new windows.

I doubt you can raise the ceiling. The panels on the ceiling are screwed directly to the trusses.

Sheetrock, yes you can but depending on what type of foundation you are on and where you live you could experience alot of cracking during the colder months.

There are many threads about sheetrock and window replacements. Take a look around and gather some info. You are most certain to have plenty of questions...we will be here to help.

I suggest that you purchase our MH repair manual here on site. It covers a multitude of typical problems with MH's. Also in the "stickies" have you seen the article I wrote about Purchasing a Used MH?

Finally I will leave you with a link that shows an exploded view of how are homes are built.

http://www.mygreathome.com/fix-it_guide/diagram.htm

Look forward to helping you in the future.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
englishk72

yes, I read the sticky about purchasing a used mobile home. I read it after we looked at this MH today....was suprized to find that between my fiancee and I, we checkd just about everything recommended!!
The home seems to have good "bones" . Due to the broken windows, we were concerned with soft spots in the floors due to rain and snow being able to blow in....however we found none, and we went stomping and jumping around.
I've been reading a lot of the posts, getting info and ideas.