Looking for advise on re leveling a mobile home.

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Omega

I'm currently living in a mobile home and the back bedroom is on a 6-7 inch tilt its so unlevel it gives me vertigo to walk around it too much. I am looking for a cheap company or DIY advise for getting it fixed in the Pittsburgh pa region. What I would like to know is mostly if anyone can give me a name of a reputable company in this region before I try to attempt fixing it myself.

I would also like to know what the average price range I should expect to be charged for a relevel if its pro done.
Greg

Hi & welcome. Any home mover should be able to relevel it for you. You may want to buy Mark's book in the 'Books & parts" section of the site. It covers most any repair you are apt to run into. He does cover the releveling in it also. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
flcruising

I was quoted $600-800 just for a simple relevel. And that is with my house 5' in the air (plenty of room underneath), and no skirting at the time. Needless to say, I did it myself for the cost of a large (20ton?) bottle jack from Wally-World.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Yanita

Hi,

A 6 to 7 inch tilt at one end of the home is significant to say the least. Also noted you live in PA, you should wait until warm weather before attempting a re-level. Let the ground thaw.

Do you live in a singlewide or double? Type of foundation?

Unless a member from your area is familiar with a set up crew we have no way of knowing who is good/decent honest.

Do your home work on re-level before hiring it out or doing it yourself.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Robin

I'll put my two cents in, because we recently had this done. We hired somebody to do it, seemed much easier to just write a check!

Ours was pretty bad out of level, I think for 2 reasons. Number 1, it never was blocked up the way it should have been. Not nearly enough blocks under it. And number 2, the flood from the hurricane didn't help matters any.

Our relevel cost us $450.00. It is sooooo much better now. And, after it was done, some of our skirting didn't fit, he had to raise one end and lower the other, so we had to have most of it reskirted. The skirting guy re-used what he could, still cost us $277.50.

Not too bad.
Omega

Well so far I have called a few places and one won't even return my calls and the other doesn't do it anymore. They gave me the number of some fly by night people that are unlicensed and want $25 just to look at it since its out of their region.

I know about the ground thaw and it is very cold here. The foundation is not that high off of the ground. I still want to try to get it done as soon the weather allows. The tilt really is giving me vertigo if I sit at this pc desk too long I have go lay down for a while. I guess I can look into prices for a jack doing it myself may be the only option.

Its a 12x60 single wide.
Teresa73

I take it you don't live in a MH community like I do, perhaps you could knock on some doors of mobile home owners who live near you - and ask them if they know the names of any MH movers or people who relevel mobile homes.

I know, sorta sucky advice lol I'd be to shy to knock on a strangers door and ask, but if you ain't shy then you might just get lucky. I always thought PA people were super nice and friendly, so get to knocking? LoL

Look in your local classifieds for people selling mobile homes, MH companies (the people who sell them on the large lots like cars), and call those people up to ask about any local releveling companies (or movers who do it). Heck they might even do it.

Most of the people here in my community use the same people who haul the new mobile homes into the park. Wow, I need to relevel this summer - I hope it's cheaper in our region (watch it cost more) :roll: But I have the MH repair book, so I can try it myself first this year if the 'pros' charge an arm and leg.

I know the crooked, leaning, vertigo rooms suck in a MH, perhaps move your pc desk for now to the 'even' side of the room or home. Avoid the vertigo area as much as you can until the problem is fixed. :( Wish I could have been of more help.

~ Teresa
Please Spay & Neuter Your Pets =^.^=
Jim from Canada

Mine was way out of level when I got it, with the help of a 20 ton jack and Marks book, I did it myself.

Jim
Omega

I just ordered one of these http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... =100595081 and will do the job myself along with my father.

My old man has been giving me a lot of misinformation. He was telling me these jacks cost $200+ and I would have to rent one from some local tool rental place for $30 or more a day....
flcruising

Suggestion. Watch the I-beam as you lift up the house, I bend the bottom of it in a couple places. I think maybe though it was a combination of my house being so heavy, and the small surface area of the jack head.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]