Consumer reports ranks internet providers

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Mark
Site Admin

I was just reading the Feb 2007 issue of consumer reports. Had an interesting article ranking the major internet providers.

At the top of the list is Verizon with their fiber-optic broadband (the only fiber-optic provider on the list). At the very bottom (worst) is AOL with MSN right next to it.

For cable internet providers, the best to worst is Wow, Earthlink, RCN, Cox, Road Runner, Optimum Online, Cable One, Mediacom, Insight, Comcast, Charter & Adelphia.

For DSL internet, the best to worst is Verizon, Qwest, BellSouth, SBC, Earthlink, AT&T, Windstream (Alltel) & Embarq (Spring). I understand that AT&T has bought out BellSouth. Myself, I use Quest at home, which I really like so I'm pleased to see it ranked so well.

For dial-up internet, the best to worst is Juno, AT&T, Earthlink, PeoplePC, NetZero, MSN & America Online.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
gram2logan

I'm surprised to see Comcast so far down on the list of cable providers. I've had Comcast for about 3 years or so and have never had a problem. Knock on wood! LOL

Where we used to live for a long time the only thing available was dial-up and that was HORRIBLY SLOW. Couldn't get DSL and Cable wasn't available yet. I was sooooooooo happy when I got Comcast; the difference was like night and day.

Then when we moved here, I just kept Comcast. Never even looked to see if there were other options like DSL. I kind of doubt it though since we are "in the country."
Stop talking before people stop listening!
Maureen

It's been many years since I've had dial up! But, back then Earthlink was pretty good to me.

I switched to ATT when they had the cable contract here. Loved it! Then Charter bought them out. Hated Charter cable! It was down more often than dial up. The rest of ATT changed to SBC. We went ahead with a total package about 4 years ago. Cell phones, Dish TV, land line and Internet. Now, they're back to ATT. But, we haven't had any down time at all in the last 4 years! When SBC took over, they did go ahead and installed all new lines. Service was down for a few hours during that time, but we were all notified in advance.

Not to mention, we only pay $22.00 a month for all of the computers! Charter charged almost $50.00 per computer!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'