Mirrored Cabinet Doors

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

CyndyB

Any suggestions on how to disguise/cover mirrored cabinet doors? We have some upper cabinets with truly hideous mirrored inserts. :shock:

Unfortunately, it looks like you would have to take the doors apart to get the mirror out so that's not an option. Hoping someone out there has found a good-looking remedy to this! Thanks...
Yanita

Hi,

I know they have some contact papers that look like frosted glass, and of course alot of other patterns. Lowe's and Home Depots sell panels (faux stained glass stick ons) that are designed to go over windows as well.

Or you could get some pretty fabric that goes with your decor, cut to size, spray clean glass with 3M adhesive spray and attach the fabric. This is also removable for when it gets dirty or you are ready for another look.

Are you sure the panels are not removable? Look real closely and see if you see a small triangular metal piece that is pushed into the wood in front of the glass, this generally is what holds the glass into place. If you can remove it you could replace the panels with wood inserts or there are a bunch of textured plastic panels that can be put in.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Denise

CindyB, I am in the same boat. My cabinets have clear glass with some awful looking gold fleck boarder and scroll work...my personal taste, YUCK. I have noticed too that it appears to take a lot to get the glass out....I'm about to try it in the next few days. I will let you know how easy/difficult it is. Wish US luck!
Greg

Some of the craft stores have a brush on glass etching acid, if nothing else you could do a frosted look. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
flcruising

Since mirrors actually have a reflective metal (silver or aluminum) coating on the back side, you may actually be able to take a straight razor blade to it and scrape it off leaving just clear glass. Then you could use the spray-can frost to turn it frosted.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Denise

You are correct...the door would have to be taken apart. I do plan to remove the glass as soon as I can see if there is a tool to remove the ~ shaped joiners for the corners.
CyndyB

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. Denise, I'll be looking forward to hearing how you make out with removing the glass. Aaron, I'm very curious about your suggestion. I don't know when I'll get a chance to work on these doors, but I promise to report back when I do.
Denise

I just wanted you to know that I opted for breaking out the glass. I put tape on both side and covered it with sheets of newspaper and cracked it out. Whatever I decide to put in I will use quarter-round on the back to keep it in place.

What the door looks like now.